Chocolate pancake: A Guest post from Food and Thrift

previous post: Everyday Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread: Bread with goodness of whole wheat | next post: Mixed vegetable salad with creamy ranch dressing
Please shareShare on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0Tweet about this on Twitter0Buffer this pageShare on TumblrShare on YummlyShare on Facebook0
I am happy to introduce my friend Elisabeth who writes the blog Food and ThriftI promised her if ever I publish a guest post in my blog, then the first one will be her post. I was able to keep up with that promise. She is one of my genuine friends who doesn’t do tick for tack commenting and belongs to a select few who are really interested in reading the posts. She is chef, mother and grandmother and also takes beautiful pictures and writes great description of the food she prepares.
Elisabeth in her words:
I am so thrilled, and honored to accept the invitation from my dear friend Swathi, who is the author of Zesty South Indian Kitchen, and one of the host @ Hearth and Soul, Tuesday Blog Hop. Her blog is so beautiful and exquisite with true South Indian cuisine, and the most amazing yeast breads, that I cannot compete with, so I decided to post something simple, and American, which we can all relate to, is “pancakes.”
Not just any old pancakes, but made with your own homemade baking mix. I’m sure you all are familiar with Bisquick baking mix. It has been around for decades. I have used it for years, myself for pancakes, and various other baking goods. Making your own mix is so easy, so practical, that once you have the mix completed…which is such an easy process, you can keep it in your fridge for up to 6 weeks in a plastic container. It’s a good way to use up excess butter or margarine, so it will not go bad.
Without further delay, here’s my recipe for the Chocolate Pancakes, made with the Homemade Baking Mix, and a simple recipe for easy muffins.
Thank you Swathi for your gracious invitation to guest post for you. Have a wonderful weekend!
Chocolate Pancakes with Homemade Baking Mix
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup packed light-brown, or cane sugar
2 cups Homemade Baking Mix (recipe to follow)
1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
Bananas, maple syrup, or Agave syrup for serving
Combine Homemade Baking  Mix, cocoa powder, the 1/3 cups of sugar. Beat the 2 eggs lightly. Make a well in the center of the combined mix, and add the eggs to it. Slowly add the milk, and whisk after each addition. Check the batter for a smooth consistency, and just the right thickness.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray. Drop a generous tablespoon of batter, or an ice-cream scoopful, which is about the same amount. Cook until small bubble form on the top, about 2 minutes. Flip pancakes over with a spatula, and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Serve with maple syrup, and sliced bananas, or serve with Agave syrup for less sugar.
Makes about 6 servings; 14 pancakes.
 Homemade Baking Mix
Recipe from: All Recipes

5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking powder
2 Tbsp sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, or margarine
Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbling.
Store in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks, or longer in the refrigerator or in the freezer for long
storage. Yields up to 6 cups.
You can use this mix for biscuits, muffins, and waffles as well.
For Muffins:
Mix 2 cups baking mix, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1 beaten egg, and 2/3 cup of milk.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you like this post,

Comments

1. says

Oh, how I love chocolate pancakes! I have made them since I was very young when I was craving for something sweet. Mine is more “crepe” like and I’ve been meaning to blog about it for ages. You have so inspired me!
    I’m willing to try your fantastic looking version!

2. says

I tried to go to ur friends blog through ur link but its not working..I make pancakes once in awhile as my li one loves it..Nice pics.

3. says

Hi Swathi-Finally I caught up with you, posting my end of the GUEST POST. Had it all together since last night but I didn’t get a chance to link it until a short while ago!
    You’ve done me “proud”…I’m so happy with the guest post, and how you presented the entire post with the story, photo, and tutorial; but then I knew you would, as you always do yours.

Thank you so much for having me guest post for you, it’s such an honor, and pleasure. Now we’re on “even” grounds…just simple American GOOD EATS, and treats!
    Much love,
    Elisabeth

4. says

So nice to find your wonderful blog via Elisabeth! You’ve described her perfectly!

Lizzie, these pancakes are fabulous! What a special breakfast treat. This would be ideal for our bigger Sunday morning meal. And what an excellent idea to have a stash of pancake mix in the fridge :)

5. says

Beautiful blog, happy to visit and check out Elisabeth’s chocolate pancakes. I have to admit that in all the years of making pancakes I’ve never made a chocolate pancake, they are beautiful all stacked up with their bananas and syrup;-)

6. says

Hello Swathi. I’ve just hopped over from Elisabeth’s. I love how you’ve labelled “comments” as “expert verdicts”! LOL!!
    Great choice having Elisabeth as your first guest post … real genuine lady.
    I’m off to explore your other posts now. Nice to have met you.

7. says

Lovely, feel like eating the batter. The eggs do add richness to everything and esp here as the pancake look great.

What you said about tick tack commenting is true. Most of them rarely read thru the posts. :)

8. says

i am coming here after a long long time(took a break and went on vacation)-found out that my curry plants on the patio have overgrown. My hubby has been begging for curry leaves thuvaiyal for a long time and now I have a good reaon”) and came to your space- knowing that you have the best selection of Indian dishes- and not only- the presentation of your recipe is unmatched by anyone blogging out there, and although I did not find it- your guest’s pancakes captivated me!-if they are chocholate- so much better! great job Swathi- i will be coming here over and over, for I am still learning a lot of the Indian cooking ways- and what better way to learn it?- step by step with quality shots – I could do it even if I could not read at all- million applauds to you!

9. says

Elizabeth, Wonderful post! Will definitely be trying these, love chocolate! What a great idea to make your own baking mix! Thanks for the recipe!

10. says

thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe elizabeth and it’s indeed heartening to have good friends swathi ! kudos gal on your efforts for the guest post

11. says

What a wonderful blog you have Swathi! It is so nice to meet you! And Elisabeth, your pancakes are delightful. I want to jump right inside the photo and dig in! Chocolate is my best friend. I must try them! :)

12. says

what a thrill to discover you via Elisabeth’s blog! I couldn’t agree more, Elisabeth is one of the most genuine souls I have ever met, and her heartfelt comments always brighten my day. She brings me into her world with her stories and amazing food and photography, but mostly with her heart and verve….we are kindred spirits indeed!!!!!!! I didn’t realize these pancakes could be so simple to make, I’m so inspired!!!!! Thank you for this fantastic guest post – much love from mangiabella!

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou

13. says

Hello, stopped by to see Elisabeth’s guest post and am enjoying your site :)
    Elisabeth these are amazing! What a gorgeous treat these would be anytime of day :)
    Wonderful guest post!