Adapted from My Kitchen Snippets and King Arthur flour Recipe
½ cup thick coconut milk
½ cup water
3 tablespoon of confectioners sugar or powdered sugar
- If you are using active dry yeast you need to proof the yeast with milk and sugar. I used instant yeast so skipped that part.
- Heat milk in microwave safe bowl to 30 seconds or it reaches lukewarm temperature. In the warm milk add butter so that it melts and set aside.
- In bowl of kitchenaid stand mixer add in the 2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix and knead the dough milk and water for form a smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough to lightly greased bowl for double in size, it takes about 90 minutes.
- Prepare and grease an a round baking pan and set aside.
- Once the dough is doubled in size remove from bowl and divide it into 8 round balls. Place them in the baking pan, cover and let it rest again until double in size.
- In the meantime, make coconut milk sauce by mixing the coconut milk with water and 3 tbsp of confectioners sugar and set aside. ( if you want you can slightly warm the coconut milk in microwave for about 15 seconds for uniform mixing of sugar)
- By the end of second rising, preheat the oven to 350F.
- when you are ready to bake, pour the sauce all over the buns and sprinkle the sweetened coconut over the buns and bake for about 30 minutes or they become golden brown color and register the internal temperature of 190 F.
- Serve warm with upside down, that is coconut sauce side on the top
- It is delicious.
You can add more coconut .