Joululimppu/ Finnish Christmas Bread
Adapted from Scandi Home
1 ½ cup/ 203g Rye flour
2 cup/ 300g Whole wheat flour
67 g /3 tablespoon Molasses
2g/1 tsp fennel seeds
1g/ 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
½ tablespoon orange zest
1 cup buttermilk ( I made using 1 cup of milk + 1 tablespoon of vinegar set aside for 5 minutes)
3 tsp Instant yeast
½ teaspoon Salt
56g/4 tablespoon melted butter
Juice of 1 orange
¼ cup water
1 tbsp molasses, extra
- In a microwave safe bowl add molasses, spices and orange zest heat it for about 30 seconds and high heat and set aside.
- Extract the orange juice and set aside.
- In a bowl of kitchenaid stand mixer weigh, both flours, instant yeast, salt and set aside.
- Add the molasses spice mixture, buttermilk, orange juice and water into the flour and with paddle attachment mix everything to form a sticky dough.
- Replace dough attachment and knead once the dough for about 10 minutes or using hand 15 minutes to smooth but not sticky dough and set aside.
- Transfer the dough into well greased container and cover and set aside for doubling for about 90 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, punch down the dough and set aside for another 30 minutes of doubling .
- Once the dough is doubled transfer the dough to table and shape it into a tight ball, and transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper for second rise of about 40 minutes. Make sure to prick the dough all over with fork.
- At end of second baking time preheat oven to 400F and bake the bread for about 20 minutes.
- While bread is baking make syrup using one tablespoon of molasses and water and set aside.
- Remove the bread from the oven and brush them with syrup and continue to bake for about 20 minutes or until the bread register the internal temperature of 190 F.
- Let the bread cool in the baking sheet for about 5 minutes and after 5 minutes transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool the bread completely before slicing.
- Enjoy the bread with butter.
- If you can catch hold of dried orange peel that is better.
Lets party : Eggless bakes and treats.