While growing up I didn’t care much about Muthira//Kollu / Kanam/ horse gram/Indian brown lentils. When mom cooked it, both mom and dad would enjoy the dish, both I and sister will go for only sweets. Now after reading its health benefits, and trying to find low carbohydrate food to include in the menu, I am using these long lost good lentils.
- Wash and soak the horse gram for overnight, next morning, cook them with 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker for about 4-5 whistles and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal and halved red chilies, when mustard seeds start splutter add chopped onion, garlic and green chili and fry for about 4-5 minutes. Then add cooked horse gram/brown lentils.
- To this add turmeric powder, salt and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add coconut, cumin powder and red chili powder and mix once and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and enjoy with rice and gravy.