Almost one year ago in July 26th few friends decide to start a group home baker’s group. We baked our first cake and revealed on 15th August. Every month we get expose to new recipes or new techniques. It really fun, we were able to bake difficult macrons, pillowy cotton cheese cake, melt in mouth chocolate cream cheesecookies, spongy bread with tangzhong method etc are few. I was able to make few great friends. I was also happy that we are small group but always try to bake challenge recipes on time. Number doesn’t matter what matters is the quality that we have. It is also coincidence that this month we baked cake.
Cookie layer is made like this
Assembly of cake
2 eggs( 120g)
1 tablespoon(12g) sugar
2 tablespoons(40g) honey
3 .5 tablespoons (50 g) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
2 cup (280g) all-purpose flour
- In a heat proof mixing bowl add egg and sugar and lightly mix.
- In a microwave safe bowl add honey and butter and microwave at 30 seconds for high.
- In a double boiler, cook the egg and sugar mixture, stirring constantly with a spoon or a balloon whisk, until the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the baking soda, and cook, stirring constantly, for another half a minute. The mixture will somewhat whiten and increase in bulk. Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Gradually add 2 cups of the flour to the mixture, mixing with a spoon with each addition, until you obtain dough that is somewhat sticky and has consistency of play dough. If the dough thickens add little hot water to make pliable dough.
- Do not be tempted to add more flour as the dough will harden as it cools off.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts and about 79g, shape each part into a ball.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Now, take one dough ball and put it in the middle of your tortilla maker of cutting board. With your fingers or roller, press onto the dough and flatten it into a thin 5 ½ inch circle using a bowl as a mould. Trim of the sides to make a perfect circle. If the dough sticks to your hands, dip your fingers in flour before pressing onto the dough. The flattened dough may appear somewhat transparent in some places – it is OK. But take care not to tear it and patch with a piece of dough if you do.
- Bake each cookie on the middle rack of the oven for 5 minutes, until it is light golden on top. The dough will slightly puff up, but don’t expect it to rise as a sponge cake. Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven, gently run a spatula underneath the cookie to loosen it, and then remove from the baking sheet.
- Repeat the process for all 6 layers. You will be able to bake all the cookies in two turns.
- Reserve the scraps as you need crumb to top and sides of the cake. It will take 10 minutes to bake the scraps.
- Spread a generous amount of sour cream-cream cheese whipped cream onto one cookie, then top with another. Then fill with dulce de leche whipped cream. Then top with another cookie Continue in this manner – stacking the layers on top of one another and spreading some cream in-between. Cover the sides and top of the cake with cream as well.
- Finely grind the baked trim-offs with pistachios. Sprinkle the crumbs generously on top of the cake and lightly press some around it.
- At this point, the cake will be hard. Leave the cake aside to soften, refrigerate overnight. The cookies will have absorbed the cream and the cake will be soft and ready.