I am not a dal person, but my hubby is, and nowadays he eatschapathi/Roti for his dinner and I need to find some side dishes to go with it. My babies on the other hand are pasta lovers and don’t care about chapathi, but will take a bite if it is dosa, otherwise strict no from both. So I don’t have much choice in their case.
3 tablespoon masoor dal /Mysore parippu(split red lentil)
2 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
1 finely chopped green chili
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tsp garam masala
3/4 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) powder
3/4 teaspoon chili powder ( I used Kashmiri chili powder)
3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
3 tablespoon Yogurt/curd (dahi)
3 tablespoon Heavy whipping cream/ fresh cream
a pinch sugar
2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves/Cilantro(dhania)
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) , lightly roasted and crushed
- Clean, wash and soak all dals/ lentils for 1 hour.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles till the dal are cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of ghee in a deep pan and add chopped onion and green chilies and fry 4 minutes and then add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, chili powder and salt and sauté till the ghee leaves the masala.
- Then add boiled dal, yogurt, cream, sugar and coriander leaves and mix well. Bring it to simmer not boil as cream is added.
- For the tempering, heat 1 teaspoon of ghee in a pan and add the dried fenugreek leaves and cumin seeds and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the dal and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Enjoy with roti or bread of your choice.
This recipe is inspired from Taradalal site, darbari dal
I am sending this delicious dal/Lentils to this month Favorite recipes event:
Curries and gravies on a plate guested hosted at Tasty Food Recipes
Also sending to MLA#62 guest hosted at Cooking with Siri conducted by Lisa of Lisa’s kitchen which is founded by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook .
Looking for similar Lentil recipes
Dal Tadka/ Seasoned Indian Style lentil soup
Parippu Curry/ Lentil Curry
Gongurapappu/ Lentil stew with Roselle Leaves
Keerai Sambar/ Spinach lentil curry
Panchmel dal /Five lentil spicy stew