My daughter is having spring break this week; and she wants to eat chocolate chips cookies. In the mean time I am looking for St. Patrick Day recipes. However not being courageous enough to make Irish soda bread, I decided to try these Green chocolate chip cookies.
I didn’t want to add any mint chips or mint extract to the cookie because if I add them my kids may not like it. Even my daughter is a fan of blue color and she wants everything in blue. Still she and her brother were happy to start eating these green cookies, as soon as it came out of the oven. I am planning to make shamrock shake also; I don’t know whether I get time. As tomorrow is one of Tamil Brahmin festival Karadaiyan nombu so I need to make special dishes for that. And Holi, festival of color also falls on March 17th so I need to make something for that too. So maybe next time I will make that.
If you don’t know about St. Patrick is holiday, it is celebrated annually on 17 March, the day of death of the most commonly-recognized saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick (c. AD 385–461).Even though it is lent time, on that day restrictions are lifted and even drinking alcohol is tradition as part of St. Patrick’s day celebration. According to Irish folklore St Patrick used 3 leaved shamrock to explain the Christian doctrine to Irish people.
I always have seen lots of green colored celebration things in the Wal-Mart. I didn’t buy any of them but love to watch them. Since my daughter learns about the celebrations and festival from her school, I thought it will be good idea to make something related to St. Patrick’s Day.
I used green gel to color the cookie dough, it is simple straight forward cookie recipe only add some green chocolate chips cookies along with semi-sweet chocolate chips and little green food coloring. Give it try it is delicious.
Here comes the recipe.
Serves: 18 medium cookies
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cups white sugar
- ½ of one jumbo egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops of green gel food coloring (Increase or decrease according to your preference)
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup green chocolate chips ( substitute with mint chocolate chips if you want)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). I used non-stick cookie sheet , if you are using baking sheet line with parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Make sure not to incorporate too air by beating to long. Beat in egg, food coloring and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into balls about one inch in diameter and flatten slightly to create round discs, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets
- Bake about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden around the edges.
Copyright ©2014 Zesty South Indian Kitchen by Swathi( Ambujom Saraswathy) All Rights Reserved