This is one of the oldest snacks you can find at the beaches and temple festivals in Tamil Nadu. Thenga Manga pattani sundal/ Cooconut, raw mango, and yellow peas salad is a synonymous trade mark of Marina Beach, Chennai. It is usually sold by small boys who carry them in a big steel vessel and sell to beachgoers. Some does it as their livelihood; some does it as part time job when the school is closed. Marina beach is one of largest natural stretch of beach in India and second largest in world.
Thenga manga pattani sundal is actually a very filling snack, and also this subtly flavored dishes burst with lot of freshness. Every day they make it fresh and sell it in a paper cone. My contact with this sundal happened when I visited Marina beach first time with my family. I don’t exactly remember the taste as it happen several years ago. So I decided to try it at home to recreate the classic.
This sundal has green mango which give sourness, filling cooked yellow peas and fresh coconut with touch of little spices. You will be thinking why all of sudden I am craving for this delicious snack. I bought some fresh green mangoes during grocery shopping. Normally when I buy green mango, it is already partially ripe meaning it will have some sweetness, so my only option is to cut them into small pieces and eat it. But this time green mango turned out be real one with great sourness. So made this thenga manga pattani sundal as well as raw mango chammanthi. I have also seen my grandma uses raw mango to make curries, pickles etc.
One more thing, this thenga manga pattani sundal/ coconut mango yellow peas salad is excellent snack for diabetic people as it sugar free and filling. My hubby who is diabetic loved it; it is healthy and you can get all the flavors in single dish, sour, spicy with touch of sweetness from coconut. If you are looking for a calorie less snack which is rich in protein then go for it.
I soaked yellow peas for 5 hours, but you can do it overnight too. Then pressure cook for 1 whistle and seasoned with mustard, onion, red chili, ginger and curry leaves. Add some freshly grated mango and coconut you are ready to go. It is yummy, and you can enjoy it as movie snack if you watching some serious movie or just as accompany to your evening tea or coffee that is what we did.
- 1 cup yellow peas/ vatana /pattani ( soaked,cooked)
- ½ cup grated green mango
- 3 tablespoon onion chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon oil ( I use Olive oil, use your oil of choice)
- 1 red chili halved
- 2 green chili
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ inch piece ginger
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- ¾ teaspoon of salt or to taste
- Juice half lemon
- Soak vatana/ yellow peas/ pattani for 5 hours or overnight. Pressure cook for 1-2 whistle, drain it in a colander and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet add mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chili and when mustard seeds starts spluttering add onion and fry for 4 minutes.
- In the mean time coarsely grind the coconut, green chili and ginger and set aside.
- Once the onion is fried add cooked peas and salt, to this add ground coconut mixture. Then add grated green mango and finally lemon juice. Mix everything well and enjoy
- Healthy protein rich salad ready .