Last Saturday, my hubby’s company organized a family day at ITZ ( a family fun place with arcade games and bowling). We all had great fun there all day, with a buffet and lots of games. We did some bowling too. Thus this Saturday has gone by without much serious cooking. So on Sunday I decided to make a grand lunch. I made this tofu stir fry/chili tofu, which in turn is an adaption of Indo Chinese dish Chili paneer.
Indo Chinese dishes are contribution of Chinese immigrant settled mainly in the north Eastern India, Kolkata and to some extent in Mumbai. Chinatown is there in both Kolkata and Mumbai. Indo Chinese dishes consist of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to Indian tastes. Today every restaurant will have at least few indo Chinese dishes in their menu. Indo Chinese dishes include chili (means hot and batter-fried), Manchurian ( means a sweet and salty brown sauce), and Szechwan (means a spicy red sauce). They may uses local spices turmeric, cumin coriander etc.
If I say paneer, my hubby will start run from there. I don’t know why he hates it but he does that. If he runs, my kids will join him also. They too are against paneer, then as a punishment for cooking paneer in the house I need to finish it. But if I make tofu, he will join to do taste test. Kids may or may not join. So I always try my paneer dishes with tofu. Since it healthier than paneer also both them has no taste as such, if you combine with some spices and sauce they will excel each other.
This not the chili we have here in the States, it is a side dish made with batter fired tofu and then they cooked again with veggies and sauce. It is delicious. I made this tofu stir fry with my own sauce version, added, sweet chili sauce, tomato ketchup, and Chinese black rice vinegar. I had some vinegar and sauce I bought for making Chinese dumpling soup that I wanted to use. So whenever I make any dish that requires Chinese ingredients, I will try to use them.
First tofu are pressed well and cut into cubes, small cubes and then it is dipped in batter made with all purpose flour and corn starch, ginger garlic paste and salt. Then they are shallow fried. The sauce is made with veggies, onion, tomato ketchup, soya sauce, sweet chili sauce and Chinese black rice vinegar. Spices used include green chili and pepper. It is really easy and delicious and goes well with a bowl of or rice. Give it a try simple delicious dish, you will love it.
- 14 oz( 396g) Firm tofu ( squeezed well and chopped into cubes)
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tablespoon corn flour
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour for dredging
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon hot chili oil
- 2 clove garlic chopped finely
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ onion chopped cubes
- ½ green bell pepper chopped cubes
- ½ red bell pepper chopped cubes
- 1 green chili chopped finely
- 2 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- First squeeze all the water from tofu and cut it into small bite size cubes.
- Combine all purpose flour, corn starch, pepper, salt and garlic paste in a bowl
- and make a smooth batter by adding approximately ⅓ cup of water.
- Coat the tofu pieces with the batter and then dredge them in 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- and shallow fry in hot oil over a high flame until tofu is golden brown. Flip once to get evenly cook all the side.
- Drain it on kitchen towel and keep aside.
- Heat the sesame oil, hot chili oil and
- add chopped garlic and ginger paste and sauté over a high flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add the onion and green chili sauté for a few more seconds.
- Then add green and red bell pepper and sauté for 3 -4 minutes.
- Add the soya sauce, sweet chili sauce; Chinese black rice vinegar, ketchup and water bring it to boil.
- Toss in the fried tofu and mix well.
- Serve immediately, garnished with the spring onion greens with a bowl of rice.
I am linking this to following linky parties.