Delicious naturally leavaned 100% whole wheat sourdough table bread made with whole wheat flour and white whole wheat flour is a fiber rich excellent breakfast bread.
Why Whole wheat bread is good for you ?
Whole-wheat bread made from 100% whole-wheat flour is higher in fiber, vitamins, and minerals than breads made from refined (white) wheat.
A whole wheat bread gives at least 3 grams or more of fiber per serving.
Is whole wheat bread and whole grain bread being same?
Whole wheat bread and whole grainbread are not same, Whole grains means they can be any kind of grains. That grain may be wheat, or another grain like spelt, oats, or barley.
Where whole wheat means it contains whole wheat with all three components like bran, germ, and endosperm of the Kernel.
How to make this 100% whole wheat sourdough table bread?
You need following ingredients
Whole wheat flour: I used stone-ground whole-wheat flour made from hard red whole wheat
- White whole wheat flour: Which is soft form whole wheat flour The bran of white wheat is not only lighter in color but also mild flavor.
- Diastatic malt powder: It gives rise to whole wheat bread as well caramel color during baking. If you don’t have it hand use honey or any other sweetener.
- Leaven: I used a whole wheat flour leavain with 100% hydration Starter. If you do not have an active starter in hand, check out here to make one.
- Salt : Use Sea salt or Himalayan Sea salt.
- Water : Use filtered water or bottled water if your tap water is rich in chlorine
Points to remember while making this bread ?
You need to autolyse the flour as well as whole wheat tend to like water.
Increasing autolyze time and increasing hydration (75% to 88% hydration) is a key point.
If you are using freshly milled flour, it is tricky, it may feel over hydrated but it absorbs water and it feels underhydrated then it eventually slackens. So, find out your sweet spot. By trial and error find the right spot of hydration.
Fresh milled Whole wheat flour keeps on fermenting in the fridge, more so than white flour does in the fridge.
The fridge won’t “stop” whole wheat flour from fermenting or aging or gluten breakdown.
For a good oven spring on a boule or batard (a pan-loaf, like sandwich bread) generally requires under-fermenting.
Do not let it rise (first or second rise) as much as you do with a loaf baked in a pan.
First rise (usually called bulk ferment) can be 30-50% increase. 2nd rise (usually called final proof) even less.
When the dough is tender and just a little jiggly you can transfer to Dutch oven.
Rough handling will make the dough deflate. Cover with a lid on the Dutch oven for initial baking and then uncover and finish baking.
Make Leaven/Leavain 8. 00 A.M
Autolyse the Flours with water 12.30 A.M . Give at least 3-4 hours.
Incorporate leaven/levain into the dough 3.00 P.M
Add salt into dough around 3.30 P.M
After 1 hour stretch and fold the dough around 4.30 P.M
Then around 5.30 P.M stretch and fold the dough for second time.
Then around 6.30 P.M Stretch and fold the dough for 3rd time.
Then keep the dough for 2 hours .There is no need to stretch and fold the dough, as it will over work gluten.
Shape at 8.00 P.M.
Cold Retard/ Refrigerator Overnight or up to 14 hours
Bake at 8.00 A.M
You can use either whole wheat flour alone or white wheat flour alone.
Using diastic malt powder gives caramelized color to the bread and give little lift.
Yes don’t expect the oven spring as bread flour or recipes contains bread flour one. As whole wheat makes dense bread.
See this whole wheat sandwich bread recipe on my website!
You can store this bread for about 3 days at room temperature and freeze for long time use.
100% whole wheat sourdough table bread Recipe
- kitchen scale
- Turkey Roaster
- Dough whisk
- 15 g Active Sourdough Starter I used whole wheat Starter
- 40 g Whole wheat flour King Arthur flour
- 50 g Water
- 250 g Whole Wheat Flour King Arthur flour
- 250 g White Whole Wheat flour King Arthur Flour
- 440 g of water
- 11 g Salt
- 6 g Diastatic malt powder / Malted barley flour
How to Make Leaven
- In the morning make your dough combine 2 tablespoons (15-20 grams) of unfed sourdough starter with 60g of water 40 g Whole wheat Flour. Mix until there are no dry bits of flour, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit out for 4-5 hours or until it doubles in volume.
- Add both whole wheat flour and white whole wheat flour, diastatic malt powder, into a bowl and add around 425 g of water and mix well and set aside for 3-5 hours before mixing with dough.
- To this add leavain to the autolyse dough and mix well make sure to knead well so that everything incorporated well. Set aside for 30 minutes and then add salt and rest of water and mix once again.
- Stretch and fold the dough
- Stretch and fold the dough after 1 hour interval for 3 hours.
- Then set aside the dough for another 2 hours without any stretch and fold .Since it is whole wheat over working of gluten will happen.
Shaping the dough
- After 5 hours or once dough somewhat, airy you can shape.
- Then transfer the dough lightly floured workspace and shape them into Batard . Fold the third of the dough closest to you inward, and then stretch the dough out to the sides. Fold the right, and then left sides in toward the center. Fold the top of the dough inward, and then wrap the bottom part of the dough over it all. If you want, you can make pre-shape and set aside for 15 minutes and then make a final shape.
- Work this into an oval shape, and place seam side up in a proofing basket lined well with flour.
- After transferring to Banneton, Let rise the dough overnight in the refrigerator. You can keep this cold retard up to 14 hours.
Score and Bake
- Next morning pre-heat the oven 475°F/ 246°C . Score the batard and place it in turkey roaster pan and bake at 475°F/ 246°C for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature for 450F /230°C for another 15 minutes and then remove the lid and continue bake for another 15 minutes., until the crust is deeply caramelized. Give 15-20 minutes extra if you want more crusty bread. Once it is baked it should register 200-205 F . Once it is cooled slice them and enjoy with cream cheese or butter.
- If you want crackling crust after switching off the oven keep oven door ajar and keep the bread inside.
- Once bread comes out of oven cool completely in the wire rack and cut it into slice and enjoy with butter.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.