I love Thai cuisine that everybody knows by now. My hubby too started asking me to make Thai curries. Last week he had lunch with one of his friends Patricia and her hubbyat a Thai restaurant. And for a change he ordered Thai yellow curry with some sides and rice from the menu. He fell in love with it and come home and told me, do you know yellow curry. You should make it is really tasty. I told him will you take me to Hong Kong Market. He immediately nodded his head and asked me what you want. I told him I need lemon grass and galangal, we get it fresh there.
Thai Yellow curry
Spices like, Red chili, Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, Fennel seeds, Cardamom
Shallots, coriander leaves/ cilantro leaves. Black pepper, turmeric and coconut milk
All the species, coconut milk.
Except ginger, it uses galangal, lemon grass, kaffir lime rind, shrimp paste, coriander root and white pepper
- 3 dried long red chili pods
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon mace
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 one inch sticks of cinnamon
- 1 /4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons red shallots, minced ( around 2 shallots)
- 1 tablespoons garlic, minced ( around 2 garlic cloves)
- 1 tablespoon galangal
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass (discards the hard part and use only soft fleshy part, Keep the shoot aside and you can add it into curry it will give more flavor)
- 2 cilantro/coriander roots (you find it is frozen section of Asian market, or fresh from farmers market)* I used shoot of cilantro/coriander leaves as I couldn’t find the roots.
- 11/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk ( I used Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1-3 cups vegetable stock (recipe here) or you can use vegetables cooked water
- 1 tablespoon shaved palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 potato (chopped into cubes)
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons Shrimp paste
- 1 onion (chopped into cubes)
- 6 Yard long beans cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 Carrot cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Fresh cilantro leaves, minced (optional)( I didn’t add)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 3 cup water
- Prepare Curry Paste Ingredients
Chili Pods: Soak in hot water for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain (reserve a few tablespoons of water) and chop.
Coriander Seed, Cumin Seed, Fennel, Mace, Cardamom and Cinnamon Stick: Dry roast until fragrant.
Galangal & Turmeric: Peel (sometimes the edge of a spoon works well for this) and chop.
Lemongrass: Remove the outer, very fibrous layers. Strike with a meat tenderizer or heave pan. Chop.
Cilantro/Coriander Roots: If using clean well water and add baking soda in the final washing step and chop into small pieces.
Make the Curry Paste
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor /blender/mortar and pestle and pulse until a smooth paste. Add reserved chili soaking water if necessary.
- Cook vegetables with 2 cups of water until it becomes soft, don’t drain the water.
- In a pan heat the coconut oil and add 3 tablespoon of curry paste , fry for few minutes or until raw smell goes. Then add, remaining coconut milk, cooked vegetables with water, palm sugar, shrimp paste( if using) and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add extra water or seasoning if necessary.