Here is the delicous and easy, 22 sourdough bread variations you can make to boost up your sourdough boule to bump up the flavor.
Adding inclusions to sourdough Bread
If you have made basic sourdough bread then you can increase the flavor quotient of the sourdough bread by adding dried nuts, dried fruits, fresh fruits, fresh veggies, canned fruits, canned veggies. You can also make them delectable by adding purees of fruits, veggies etc.
Are you looking for a natural-colored sourdough bread, that is also possible by adding inclusions?
In this post I am discussing about the tried and tested ways of adding inclusions to sourdough bread.
How much inclusions can you add to a sourdough bread?
About 20% of inclusions, you can add to total weight of flour. For e.g. If your flour weight is about 1000g, you can add about 200g of inclusions such as, cheese, fruits, dried fruits, nuts etc.
Once you decide the inclusions to add sourdough bread then next is when to add it to dough.
You can either add that inclusions while mixing the dough or you can mix in the inclusions during the laminations. I found that lamination provide more uniform distributions of the inclusions.
Points to Remember while adding Inclusions to your sourdough bread.
1) If you are adding fresh fruit, try to add it during lamination or just before shaping them as they tend to release more water into the dough.
2) When you are using fruits that releases water out, then make dough with around 65-70% hydration. That way the amount of water will be adjusted when you add fresh fruits e.g., peach, mango.
3) When it comes to cheese, make sure to add it in small cubes around ¼ inch pieces, rather than grated. If you are going for the look, otherwise you can add grated cheese.
4) If you are planning to add dry nuts like walnut, or pecans, pistachio etc. try to chop them into small pieces and shape the dough gently as they can tear the dough. Adjust the water level to hydrate the dough a bit more, as once nuts are mixed into a dough as they tend to pull some moisture from the surrounding dough. This means the dough texture might feel drier and firmer as fermentation progresses begin, especially during the bulk fermentation.
5) When you are using sundried tomatoes or olives from oil or brine, first you need to drain them of their oil or brine and chop to desired coarseness. Add to the dough, it is sufficiently strengthened during mixing or during lamination or just before shaping them.
6) While adding purees (pumpkin, butternut squash puree) adjust the hydration flour to around 65%, so that it will be adjusted when you are adding purees. The other way is to remove the water content from the puree is by warping them with kitchen towel or tissue.
7) If you are adding juice to the dough (like carrot, beet root juice) try to use in place of water.
8) When you add fresh fruits or cheese, the crust of the bread is going to be thin and soft. If you are looking for thick crust, try to bake for little more time without burning the bread. Still, it will not be crusty as just sourdough bread with flours alone.
Sourdough bread with seeds and nuts
- Split chickpea sesame seed whole wheat-bread : Delicious Split chickpea sesame seed whole wheat bead full of nutty lentil rich split chickpeas, toasted black, sesame seeds and Whole wheat.
- Seeded Whole Wheat bread : This Seeded Whole Wheat bread is 4 seed combo bread made with flax seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and pumpkin seeds and caraway seeds Wholesome sourdough bread goes well with spread of cream cheese
- Dukkha Sourdough Bread :Delicious and simple Dukkha sourdough bread made with Egyptian spice blend Dukkah on the seasoning crust. Which is really flavorful with nuts and spices.
- Cranberry Walnut Orange Sourdough Bread :Delicious naturally leavened Cranberry walnut Orange Sourdough Bread made with craisins, orange juice, orange zest and nutty toasted walnuts. Excellent nuts and fruit studded bread.
- Cranberry Pecan Sourdough bread Delicious Cranberry and Pecan Sourdough Bread made with lightly sweetened cranberries and pecans. Great for holiday morning breakfast bread.
Sourdough bread with fruit, and vegetable puree
Pumpkin Sourdough Bread: Delicious savory pumpkin sourdough bread. Made with pumpkin puree and no sugar added. Great as breakfast toast.
- Pumpkin Cranberry Sourdough Bread : Delicious Pumpkin cranberry sourdough bread made with pumpkin puree and cranberries, orange zest and spices. Great breakfast bread
- Carrot Sourdough Bread : Delicious vitamin A loaded Carrot Sourdough bread made with fresh carrot juice,flour, active starter and salt. I didn’t add any sweetner if you want you can add maple syrup, honey or sweetner of your choice
- Prickly Pear Sourdough Bread : Delicious Prickly Pear Sourdough Bread made with fresh prickly pear fruit puree, flour, sourdough starter and salt. No added sugar, hint of sweetness in the bread is from the fruits itself.
- Marbled Purple Sweet Potato Sourdough Bread : Delicious Marbled Purple Sweet Potato Sourdough Bread made Purple Sweet potato puree,sourdough starter, mixed flour, salt and water.
- Butternut Squash Sourdough Bread : Delicious Marbled Purple Sweet Potato Sourdough Bread made Purple Sweet potato puree,sourdough starter, mixed flour, salt and water.
Naturally colored Sourdough bread
Curry Tomato Onion Sourdough Bread :Delicious Curry tomato onion sourdough bread made with homemade curry powder, onion, tomato and red bell pepper. Curry meets with Sourdough bread
Turmeric Sourdough Bread : Delicious Turmeric Sourdough bread made with flour, multigrain flour with anti- inflammatory turmeric, goes well bowl of soup.
Butterfly Pea flower Multigrain Sourdough Bread : Delicious Turmeric Sourdough bread made with flour, multigrain flour with anti- inflammatory turmeric, goes well bowl of soup.
Sourdough bread with cheese
Olives Parmesan Sourdough Bread : Delicious Olives Parmesan Sourdough Bread looks perfect treat with mixed olives and nutty Parmesan cheese with crusty bread
Pepper Jack and Apple Sourdough Bread : Delicious Pepper Jack and Apple Sourdough Bread made with pepper jack cheese, apple cubes. Make great tasting sourdough bread
Jalapeno Cheddar Chive Sourdough Bread : Delicious Jalapeño Cheddar Chive Sourdough Bread made with pickled Jalapeno, sharp cheddar and garlic chives. Goes well with bowl of soup or as such .
Zucchini and White Cheddar Sourdough Bread : Delicious zucchini, white cheddar sourdough bread with moistness from zucchini and creamy white cheddar cheese along with touch of pepper to make great savory bread.
Sun Dried Tomato and Parmesan Sourdough Bread Delicious tangy sun dried tomato and parmesan sourdough bread. You can eat this bread as is or you can make it as toast with butter which will enhance the flavor more.
Sourdough bread with fruits
Apple Pie Sourdough Bread : This Apple Pie Sourdough Bread is best of classic combo with sourdough dough and apple pie filling.
Blueberry Rye Sourdough Bread : Delicious fresh blueberry sourdough. A fruity delight and you can have them with cream cheese or your favorite spread
Peach Spelt Sourdough Bread : Delicious Peach Spelt Sourdough bread made with fresh peaches and touch of cinnamon. Great fruity bread with no added sugar.9
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.