Aval Payasam a traditional South Indian Milk pudding made with flattened rice flakes,milk,sugar and dry fruits
Here is our Onam Sadya
Coming back to the recipe, this is an easy pudding recipe; both aval/ flattened rice flakes and condensed milk are star ingredients. First roast the aval in ghee for 5 minutes then cook them with water and add milk, and once milk starts boiling add condense milk and again boil for few minutes. Finally garnish it with ghee roasted cashews and raisins. You can increase the flavor by adding some cardamom.
- 1 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 cup aval/poha/ flattened rice flake
- 15 Raisins
- 15 cashews
- 2 cup water
- 2 1/4 cup Milk I used 2 %
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 no Cardamom
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat ghee and roast cashews until it becomes golden brown color and raisins becomes plump up and set aside.
- In the same pot roast washed aval or flatten rice flake for about 5 minutes or until it changes the color.
- Then add water and cook for about another 5 minutes. To this add milk and boil for another 15 minutes.
- Then add condensed milk and cook for another 5 minutes. Finally add crushed cardamom and ghee roasted raisins and cashews. Switch off the flame.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.