The busiest time for me is the morning, so I try to make some easy and at the same time filling breakfast dishes. This Avocado and tofu toasts recipe is from a cookbook. On Facebook I saw a video in which Avocaderia restaurant in New York only make avocado dishes and sell it which I found interesting. So, decided to try this avocado and tofu toasts.
This recipe is from the book Power Plates: 100 Nutritionally Balanced, One-Dish Vegan Meals by Gena Hamshaw. Since most of the Indian curries are vegan I decide to check it out.
The introduction segment in this book has information about noteworthy ingredients and macro nutrient building blocks.
There are 6 chapters namely for breakfast, salads, soups, bowls, skillets and stovetop and Bakes.
Among the 20 breakfast recipes, starting from Shortcut steel-cut oats to French toast, whole grain waffles, avocado and tofu toasts, I tried avocado and tofu toast.
The chapter on Salads (chapter 2) comes with 18 different salads, I found Brown rice Tabbouleh salad and Guacamole quinoa salad with black beans the most interesting.
Soups recipes are included in the chapter 3 and there are about 15 recipes such as Mulligatawny, Moroccan tagine with tempeh and chickpeas and Spicy cabbage soup with rice and chickpeas etc.
Chapter 4 is about whole some meals in a bowl. I like Sweet potato bowls with cilantro lime rice and black beans, Mediterranean quinoa bowls with roasted fennel and black-eyed peas are few.
There is also a segment about skillet and stovetop (chapter 5), I would like to try Golden Beet Risotto, Spanish quinoa with tempeh. Creamy curried lentils and quinoa.
Final chapter is about Bakes, which includes sweet potato nacho fries, home-style stuffed shells.
I tried avocado and tofu toasts recipe from this book. I made my own version of baked tofu as there is no baked recipe given. It is simple and easy to put together breakfast. If you like simple, wholesome meals like me then go and buy this book.
Here comes the recipe of avocado and tofu toasts.
Avocado and Tofu Toasts
- For toasts
- 4 slice whole grain bread
- 1 large avocado halved pitted and peeled
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt
- 1 ripe tomato cut into thin rounds
- 4 ounces of baked tofu
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice optional to prevent blackening of avocado
- For baked tofu
- 4 ounce extra firm tofu
- 1 ½ tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- For Baked tofu
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together all ingredients except tofu.
- Drench each piece of tofu in the sauce ingredients then lay flat on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping each piece of tofu after 15 minutes.
- For avocado and tofu toasts
- Toast the bread, mash avocado flesh with fork and add ½ teaspoon lemon juice to just to prevent from blackening of avocado. Then spread it into bread. Sprinkle salt and pepper top with single layer of tomato slices and then layer of baked tofu slices. Enjoy
Pin it for later
“I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.”0
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.