Delicious Plantain chips made with just 4 ingredients, you need only unripe plantains, oil and salt. simple and easy snack.
How to choose plantains for chips?
How to Fry Plantain Chips
Points to Remember while making Plantain Chips
Heat oil in medium high flame. Once it register 350F add plantain slices and cook until the noise is reduced. Then add salt water.
The addition of salt water is to increase the crispiness of the chips. You can skip the step if you are afraid of adding water in hot oil. In that case add salt immediately once the chips are removed from the oil.
If you are looking for healthy version of Plantain chips ?
Then instead of frying ,tastewise that is best.
You can use bake or air fryer method. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until golden color on the edges. You need to coat them with oil. You can use either coconut oil or oil of your choice.
Plantain Chips is not keto-friendly because it is high in carbs.
Other Plantain Recipes are
- 4 Plantains
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoon Salt water 3 tablespoon salt in 1 tablespoon water
- 8 cup Water : 8 cup
- Oil I used Peanut oil and Canola oil, use Coconut oil for authentic taste
- In a sauce pot add water and turmeric and keep aside. Peel plantain skin (you will see white flesh and put in the water for 30 minutes. This will remove the stickiness of plantain and will be easy to slice them and preserve the color and also prevent them from sticking while frying.
- Slice the plantain into round or oval of ⅛ inch thickness using a mandoline. Dry the sliced pieces in baking sheet lined with kitchen tissue or towel.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot until they are hot (not smoking). Fry the pieces in the hot oil without overcrowding them. Occasionally give stir to flip them and keep them from sticking together.
- Once they are ¾ done (around 5 minutes or you will hear sizzling sound while turning theadd 1 teaspoon of salt water and close the pot with a lid (this will prevent splashing, be careful with this method, if you are not comfortable you can add salt lateand remove the lid a minute or two later to check if the splashing has stopped. Fry for another 2 minutes or until golden brown and remove them with a slotted spoon into plate lined with paper towels for draining the excess oil.
- Next batch reduce the salt content as salt is already present in the oil. Continue until you finish frying all plantains.
- If you are not using the salt water, season with salt once you removed from the oil.
- Enjoy these chips with hot tea or coffee.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.