Beetroot Kichadi/ Beetroot cooked in Yogurt gravy
- 1 big 2 small Beetroot
- 1 cup Fresh grated coconut
- 2-3 green chili if you want more spicy add one more chili
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 ½ cup yogurt/curd I used homemade
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 no red chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Peel the skin of beet root and chop into big chunks and cook with 2-3 cups of water until it is cooked well or become very soft.
- Once it is cool enough to touch, grate them finely and set aside.
- In the mean time grind the coconut with green chilies into fine paste.
- In a skillet add grated cooked beet, salt, yogurt and ground coconut chili paste and mix everything, in low flame. You can do this step without heating also.
- In another pan heat oil and add mustard seeds , red chili and curry leaves, when mustard seeds starts splutters remove from the fire and add it to beetroot yogurt mixture.
- Enjoy with rice.
- Recipe adapted from Vanitha Magzine September 2013.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.