Delicious blueberry ice cream. egg free. Easy to make with few ingredients in your pantry.You can make it special with addition of chocolate chips
This week is going to go fast, as July 4th weekend is coming; hubby has an off on Friday, so it will be a three day weekend. Kids get to enjoys more as papa is home and that means more outing. If mama is there only outing they get is trip to doctor, Wal-Mart or Sam’s club. Nowadays as they are home so they need some goodies to munch on more often and it is an ice cream, popsicles etc. They love blueberries, so I made this blueberry ice cream.
Summer is bounty time for fruits; especially are blueberries, Mango, Jackfruit, raspberries and strawberries are abundantly available in the market. I like to make ice cream with each and every one of the fruits. But one thing we need to make sure while making ice cream with fruits is taking care of iciness or acid content, but often pureed fruits work well even if simply stirred into the ice cream base when it’s cooled. Iciness can be prevented by giving time to macerate the berries and later puree them. Similarly acid content of lemon, blueberries can be preventing by adding the puree to milk or cream only after cooling.
Yes both I and kids love blueberries, I love to add them in my bakes and smoothies, however my hubby is not a big fan. My little ones want blueberries only in ice cream. I make ice cream at home so that I can control the ingredients that go into it. I have made this blueberry ice cream a few times, it is delicious; only need some cream, milk, blueberries and sugar. Since I giving it to little ones, most of the times I make eggless ice cream. If you make fruit based ice creams you don’t need any egg.
Also I noted that price of eggs has gone up considerably. Usually when I shop at Wal-Mart, there will be few people near the eggs aisle. Last time when I shopped there I couldn’t find a single person.
This blueberry ice cream recipe is simple, you will love it, give it a try. Here comes the recipe.
Blueberry Ice Cream
- 1 ½ cup Heavy cream or whipping cream
- 2 ½ cup blueberries I used fresh blueberries, you can use frozen also
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice juice from half of lemon
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional
- Mix blueberries, sugar, and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool 20 minutes. Puree in a blender.
- Stir puree together with heavy cream, milk and lemon juice.
- Chill in refrigerator overnight. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Mix in chocolate chips by adding into machine during last 5 minutes of freezing.
Pin it for later
Other berry based ice cream are2
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.