When I am too lazy to cook anything Egg curry comes to my rescue. I make different varieties of egg curry, some dry, some with coconut milk. Usually I make it to go with chapati (Indian whole wheat flatbread) or appam (rice pancakes). For a change I decide to try this Burmese egg and okra curry. This recipe from Burma Superstar, a new cookbook by Desmond Tan and Kate Leahy.
I borrowed the book from the library. I liked a few recipes from it, and this Burmese egg and okra curry got my immediate attention. Burmese cuisine is a blending of South Asian (Indian), East Asian (Chinese), and Southeast Asian (Thai) traditions. As a result, the flavors of Burmese cuisine have little spices, soy sauce and fish sauce.
If you watch old Hindi movies, Burma is place where people used to go to do business and it is one of the first foreign countries where people from India went. Even there is old famous song with this lyrics“ Mere Piya Gaye Rangoon kiya hai wahaan se teliphoon” from movie Patanga (my husband has gone to Rangoon has telephoned from there). I would like to visit Burma, the land of pagodas someday. You can dream everything but to make it happen is not is in your hand always.
Earlier I tried a few Burmese recipes and I loved it. Why I like the curry because I like egg curry and had never tried with okra in it. I make curries with Okra and my daughter loves that vegetable if you make dry curry with it.
This curry is very simple, I have added little curry powder to spice it up, you can skip it if you want. Also, you can skip fish sauce if you don’t like it. I found that we need to add little water as paste thickens too fast, also I like to cook the veggies very well. If you like okra and egg give it a try, this one is great to go with bread or bowl or rice.
Burmese egg and okra curry
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 thai chilies sliced cross wise
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder optional
- 3 Roma tomatoes 1 ½ cups
- 12 okras trimmed cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ cup water if you need
- Few cilantro sprig for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes then add garlic and chilies and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then add turmeric, paprika, cayenne, salt, curry powder. Add tomatoes and cook over medium heat with occasional stirring until everything comes together and tomato become soft and loose its shape. Add ½ cup water if you needed. Then add okra and fish sauce and cook for another 5-6 minutes until it well done but not mushy.
- Then add halved hard-boiled eggs and brings to simmer. Gently stir the curry so that eggs get coated with tomato and okra. Serve 1 to2 egg in serving. If you want Burmese style keep cilantro along the side. If they want they will garnish it.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.