Delicious buttenut squash bread made with roasted butternut squash puree, flour, sugar, eggs, and spices and pecans.If you like pumpkin bread, then you will love this butternut squash bread too. This is simple and easy quick bread that you can make while incorporating fall flavors it you want. For making this butternut squash bread you need to roast butternut squash and make it into puree.
I want to make it entirely different than the pumpkin bread so skipped usual pumpkin pie spices.
What is butternut squash bread?
It is a quick bread made with butternut squash puree, apple sauce, oil spices, flour, eggs, and sugar. You do not need any yeast for this recipe. If you want to make sourdough version try this Butternut squash sourdough bread.
You can either roast or puree the butternut squash to get the puree. I found roasting halved entire ones is easy rather than peeling and slicing them into small cubes. If you want, you can do that too.
Best part is that you can freeze the butternut squash puree for up to 3 months in freezer, or if you want you can use the butternut squash puree within 3 days of making, by keeping in refrigerator.
If you can find canned butternut squash puree, try that, it too will work.
When you are using the homemade squash puree make sure to adjust the water content in your recipes as butternut squash contains 81% of water.
How I made butternut squash bread
Flour: I used unbleached all-purpose flour you can also use whole wheat flour too, start with ¼ cup, and then increase to equal proportion of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
Apple sauce: Apple sauce adds extra moisture to the bread, you can use banana or even green yogurt will work well.
Oil: I used vegetable oil, you can use canola oil or any other less flavor oil.
Eggs: 2 large eggs they bring lift to bread
Spices: 1) Cinnamon: goes well with any kind of squash and it is star of any fall baking.
2) Ginger: This warm spice mingles with butternut squash and bring a zing to the recipe
3) Nutmeg: Distinctive pungent fragrance and a warm slightly sweet taste; it is used to flavor
the butternut squash bread.
4) Cardamom: It is most aromatic and sweet spice adds extra flavor boost to squash recipes.
Sugar: I used both brown and granulated sugar. You can increase the amount of brown sugar if you want more dark color and less sweetness. I used only 1 cup of granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. This is not overly sweet butternut squash bread.
Nuts: I used pecans you can use walnuts if you do not like nuts. If you want to make nut free that is too possible, add in some cranberries, chocolate chips or nothing.
How to make it
Mix all the spices, baking soda and flour together and mix all wet ingredients separately. Then mix in both also make sure not to overmix. Then bread becomes dense.
This bread will be ready in 50-55 minutes after baking at 350°F, please watch as you need to take it out when the toothpick comes out clean. Time may vary slightly depending upon your oven.
You can use the same recipe with pumpkin puree. You can customize the addon’s, depending upon your taste like nuts, chocolate chips, cranberry both fresh and frozen.
If you tried this bread, please tag me @nidhinikhil in Instagram or @zestysouthindiankitchen in Facebook.
Butternut Squash Bread
- 1 ¾ cup 218.75g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 200g granulated sugar
- 1 cup 154g Roasted butternut squash puree
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup 53g vegetable oil
- ¼ cup 72g apple sauce
- ½ cup 66g pecans chopped finely
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour and line parchment paper on one 9.5 x 5 Inch, 2. 4.7inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the butternut squash puree, eggs, oil, apple sauce and sugars until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ging9.5 x 5 Inch, Set of 2. 4.7er and cardamom.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the butternut squash mixture. Combine just until incorporated; do not over mix. To this fold in chopped pecans. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.