December is only 2 days away. My kids have already put Christmas tree and made list for Santa. Now waiting for him to deliver their presents. As mom I decided to start my Christmas baking with this classic cardamom Spritz cookies. This is traditional Christmas cookies without any leavening in it.
This tender spritz cookie recipe is very eye-catching on my Christmas cookie tray. The dough is easy to work with, so it’s fun to make these spritz cookies into a variety of festive shapes. I didn’t go overboard with decoration, you can glaze or chocolate or even color the cookies as you wish.
Who doesn’t love Spritz cookies? Yes, they are crispy, buttery squiggly things filled with sugary goodness? Spritz cookies is a type of German Christmas cookie made of flour, butter, sugar and eggs. Everybody has some stories connected to spritz cookies and Christmas baking.
You can make this cookie with sugar, but powdered sugar gives the softness and melt in mouth. I also upgraded the cookie with vanilla extract and cardamom. We Indians can’t stop adding cardamom in our desserts. Green cardamom has that exotic aroma which you can’t get in anything. Please do not buy ground cardamom powder as they lose their freshness soon. Use fresh ground cardamom pods as much you need.
My kids are not that great fan of any other cookies other than chocolate chip ones. But they like to decorate, my daughter tried and told me it is delicious. You need cookie press to make this. After a long debate I bought cookie press, as the dough is not spreadable because of butter content. My cookie is not overly sweet you can increase the amount to ¼ cup sugar if you want more sweetness or glaze them with powdered sugar to make it sweeter.
It is time of Jingle so start baking your favorite cookies, this is going to one in that list I am sure.
Cardamom Spritz Cookies
- 11/4 cup /163g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 stick 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup /59g powdered sugar
- Half of 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Have two 2 unlined, ungreased, preferably aluminum baking sheets ready.
- In a bowl Combine the flour, salt and cardamom and set aside.
- In another one Cream the butter and sugar. Beat on low speed until combined, then beat on medium speed until fluffy and lightened in color, about 3 minutes.
- Then add egg and vanilla and mix once again and set aside.
- To this fold in the flour mixture: Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Add the flour mixture, return the mixer to low speed, and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fill and use the cookie press: Fill the cookie press with as much dough as will fit. Fit the press with a die. Press the dough directly onto 2 baking sheets, spacing them as close together as the press will allow. Refill the cookie press with more dough as needed.
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets between racks and from front to back. Bake until the cookies are a pale golden-brown, 3 minutes more depending on the shape, removing any sheets of cookies that are ready first. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with pressing and baking the remaining dough, being sure to cool the baking sheets completely between batches.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.