Delicious vitamin A loaded Carrot Sourdough bread made with fresh carrot juice,flour, active starter and salt. I didn’t add any sweetner if you want you can add maple syrup, honey or sweetner of your choice
This is a vitamin A rich sourdough bread, i.e., it is a carrot sourdough bread made with fresh carrot juice. Natural sweetness from the carrot as well as it hints of sweetness with colorful orange hue. I did not add any sweetener to this recipe as I want full carrot flavor.
Health Benefits of Carrots?
Carrots are rich in vitamin A and is needed for eye health. Also, carrots are rich in potassium and helps to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and other cardiovascular issues. Another antioxidant that carrots provide is vitamin C. They are also rich in Vitamin K.
How to make this Carrot Sourdough Bread
You need 4 ingredients to make carrot sourdough bread.
Leaven: I used bread flour and whole wheat flour leaven made from 100% sourdough starter.
Carrots: I used fresh carrot juice and used that instead of water.
Flour: Bread flour, rye flour and whole wheat flour.
Salt: I have used sea salt; you can use Himalayan salt if you want.
I did not add any sweetener or herbs to this carrot sourdough bread. if you want you can add maple syrup, honey, or sugar.
I you want you can make a carrot bread with either ginger or garlic or lemon zest or orange zest,
Spices like cinnamon, coriander also goes well with carrot.
Herbs like dill or spearmint or tarragon, and thyme makes great combo with carrot.
You can add nuts and seeds to this sourdough bread, Cashew nuts and walnuts will go with this.
You can also add seeds such as sesame seeds, poppy seeds.
Is grated carrot or carrot puree or carrot juice to get good color to the sourdough bread?
I find that using carrot juice gives the good orange hue that you are looking for. If you add grated carrots it gives only speckles of orange. If you want to add carrot puree, it makes the bread denser so use in less quantity.
I have used orange carrots, so the color of the bread turned out to be orange. If you can find purple carrot sure bread will have a beautiful purple hue.
Points to remember while making this Carrot Sourdough bread?
1. You need to use active young leaven.
2) Try to use a mix of bread flour and whole wheat or rye flour.
3) Make fresh carrot juice and use instead of water
4) Since carrots has natural sugars in it, Autolyse flour only for 30 minutes.
If you are into natural colored sourdough bread like me then sure to check out these.
For blue color: Butterfly pea flour Multigrain sourdough
Light pink: Prickly pear sourdough bread
Yellow: Turmeric Sourdough bread
If you do not have any sourdough starter check here to make one
Make sure to check these if you want to make perfect sourdough bread.
How to serve this carrot sourdough bread?
They make excellent sandwich.
You can also enjoy this sourdough bread with sweetened cream cheese to get a taste of carrot cake.
Just simply toast them with butter and sprinkle some cinnamon to make an excellent cinnamon carrot toast.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag me @ nidhinikhil in Instagram or zestysouthindiankitchen in Facebook
Make Leaven/Leavain 8. 00 A.M
Autolyse the Flours with carrot juice 12.30 A.M
Incorporate leaven/levain into the dough 1.00 P.M
Add salt into dough around 1.30 P.M
After 1 hour stretch and fold the dough around 2.30 P.M
Then around 3.30 P.M stretch and fold and dough for second time.
Around 4.30 P.M Laminate the dough.
First coil fold 5.30 P.M Coil fold the dough.
second coil fold at 6.00 P.M
Pre-shape at 7.00 P.M.
Shape the dough 7.15 P.M
Cold Retard/ Refrigerator Overnight up to 14 hours
Bake at 7.00 P.M
Carrot Sourdough Bread
- 20 g Starter 100% hydration 50: 50 All-purpose flour and Whole Wheat flour
- 80 g Bread flour
- 15 g Whole wheat Flour
- 5 g Rye flour
- 100 g Water
- 320 g Bread flour
- 60 g Whole wheat flour
- 20 g Rye flour
- 310 g Carrot Juice
- 9 g Salt
- 100 g Leaven
- In the morning make your dough combine 2 tablespoons (15-20 grams) of unfed sourdough starter with 100g of water 80 g of bread flour, 15g of whole wheat flour and 5 g rye flour. Mix until there are no dry bits of flour, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit out for 4-5 hours or until it doubles in volume.
- Make carrot juice with 476 g peeled and chopped carrots + 300g juice process very well in a blender strain the juice
Autolyse the dough
- Around 4 hours of Leaven making, Mix all the flours in 310 g of carrot juice in a large bowl. And mix by hand until there are no dry bits. Knead for 1-2 minutes until well combined. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes
- Add leaven into the dough
- After autolyse with flour incorporate the leaven into the dough
- Then after 30 minutes add salt. Mix well and cover the dough again and set aside
Stretch and Fold
- Then stretch and fold the dough every 1 hour for until 2 hours. This means grabbing the underside of the dough and stretching it up and over the rest of the dough. Perform a few of these turns each time you handle the dough.
Laminate the dough
- One hour after last stretch and fold do a lamination of the dough. Means spread the dough into thin sheet and fold them into a letter fold.
- If you are planning for 1 coil fold do that 2 hours of lamination. If you are doing 2 coil folds give 1 hour’s interval.
Shaping the Dough
- Then transfer the dough lightly floured workspace and shape them into round Boule. Fold the third of the dough closest to you inward, and then stretch the dough out to the sides. Fold the right, and then left sides in toward the center. Fold the top of the dough inward, and then wrap the bottom part of the dough over it all. If you want, you can make pre-shape and set aside for 15 minutes and then make a final shape.
- Work this into a round shape, and place seam side up in a proofing basket lined well with flour.
- After transferring to Banneton, Let rise the dough overnight in the refrigerator. You can keep this cold retard up to 14 hours.
Score and Bake
- When you are ready to bake preheat oven to 475°F.
- Remove the dough from the proofing basket and score and transfer to Dutch oven and close the lid and immediately place the top back on and return to the oven.
- Turn the heat down to 450°F and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove the top of the Dutch oven and rotate the pan. Continue to bake the bread for another 35 minutes, until the crust is deeply caramelized. Give 10-15 minutes extra if you want more crusty bread.
- If you want crackling crust after switching off the oven keep oven door ajar and keep the bread inside.
- once bread comes out of oven cool completely in the wire rack and cut it into slice and enjoy with some butter
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.