Delicious golden cheddar scallion bread made with sharp cheddar and green scallions. Quick easy bread goes well cup of soup or as toast.
Cheddar Scallion Bread
- 6 ounces Sharp Cheddar about 1 ¾ cups, divided
- 3 tablespoon Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 11/2 cup 210g King Arthur All-Purpose White Flour
- 2 cup 320g King Arthur Unbleached Bread flour
- 1 envelope 7g Active dry yeast ( I used Red star yeast)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoon water
- ½ cup Yogurt 127g( I used homemade one)
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ teaspoon 20g honey
- ¾ cup 70g green onion/scallion chopped
- 1 teaspoon 3g garlic powder
- Set ¼ cup of cheese 2 tablespoon of green onions aside and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl heat ⅓ cup of lukewarm water and add ¼ teaspoon of honey and yeast and set aside for proofing.
- In large bowl or bowl of stand mixer, add both flour, remaining cheeses, salt ,rest of honey, garlic powder green onions and proofed yeast.Mix until everything combines well a sticky but smooth dough.
- Knead dough in stand-up mixer with dough hook for about 15 minutes also and dough should pass window pane test.
- Put small amount of oil in clean bowl and add dough, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place dough in warm place to rise until doubled in size, 90 minutes (placing dough in closed turned-off oven next to large pan of just-boiled water works well).
- Oil 9 by 5-inch loaf pan or coat with nonstick spray. Gently turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Press ball of dough into rectangle, about length of pan. Fold rectangle in thirds, as if folding letter. Fold in half again lengthwise, pinching edges and ends together firmly until sealed.
- Place dough seam-side-down in pan. Sprinkle top with reserved cheese and green onions. Cover loosely with wrap and let rise until about 1 inch above top of pan, about 30 to 45 minutes. Toward end of rising time, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place bread in middle of oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 30 to 45 minutes longer or until bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped or instant-read thermometer registers 190-200°F when inserted in center. Remove loaf from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
Variations and serving suggestions: creative additions to add separately or in combination are chopped fresh jalapenos, hot sauce, minced garlic, chopped olives, chopped sundried tomatoes and fresh herbs like basil or dill. Serve plain or toasted with soups, or to add a cheddary bite to classic sandwiches like BLT’s, tuna or chicken salad, or avocado-tomato. Toast any leftovers into cheese croutons for salads, soups or snacking.
Othere cheddar bread recipes are
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.