Cherry margarita is a refreshing light fruity treat with fresh cherries , tequila, and lime juice and are great as a happy hour drink.
This margarita contains Cherries which are summer’s bounty. You can get the cherries now in the grocery stores, and make this refreshing fruit margarita. This drink is also very easy to make.
Cherrry Margarita is served on the rocks, and is made with fresh ingredients and is timeless.
Cherries are mainly used as garnish in cocktails, and the types of cherries mainly used include Luxardo Original Maraschino Cherries, Fabbri Amarena Cherries in Syrup, Woodford Reserve Bourbon Cherries etc.
What are favorite cocktail of the world?
Margarita is one of the most popular cocktail in the world based on the data from 115 countries.
Margarita, the classic tequila and lime mix is followed by rum-based Mojito and Piña Colada in second and third places respectively, with the Old Fashioned in fourth place.
If you are toasting at summer barbecue or mixing up a batch for Cinco de Mayo festivities, usually classic margarita is easy to make and it is crowd pleaser.
Made with tequila, lime juice, Cointreau or Triple Sec, and is traditionally served with a salted rim, the margarita is sure to please season after season.
However since fresh cherries are in season, you can make use of that and try cherry margarita, cherry whisky sour, cherry bourbon mash etc.
How to make this Cherry Margarita ?
To make this cherry margarita just like any other Margarita cocktail you need only a few ingredients.
Among the ingredigents triple sec, tequila, and lime or lemon juice are a must.
In this cherry margarita fresh cherries, lime juice and tequila and Maraschino Liquor is used, but if you do not have it hand. Then add triple sec instead of cherry liquor.
Ingredients for making Cherry Margarita
Tequila : A good quality Tequila is a must for making margarita. I have used is Reposado tequila which is golden and aged in oak barrels for at least two months and up to a year.
Reposado tequilas make for more dynamic, flavorful Margaritas and is of good quality.
However if you have silver or Blanco tequila in hand you can use those too. Blanco tequila is young, only aged in oak for up to two months. It also has a stronger flavor and mixes well.
Maraschino Liquor : Maraschino is a clear, cherry-flavored liqueur that is made from Marasca cherries.
If you dont have this liquor, you can use any cherry flavored liquor, as this will enhance the taste of this cherry margarita.
Addition of extra cherry flavored liquor make this more
Lime Juice: It is always best to use Fresh lime juice.
Nectevia /agave : I used a small amount of Nectevia (stevia with agave), but you can use simple syrup if you want.
Fresh cherries : I used sweet cherries, but you can also use tart cherries however reduce the amount of lime juice.
For garnish : Lime wheel and halved cherries are good for garnish.
Salt is used to treat the rim of the glass.
Variation to this Cherry margarita
- You can convert this on the rocks cherry margarita into frozen margarita by blending everything into the blender. Instead of simple syrup or agave you can use cherry syrup as sweetner.
2. You can also try with sour cherries as well as black cherries instead of sweet red cherries
3. Try with cherry juice blend and skip Maraschino liquor if you do not have it in hand.
4. Add cherry juice blend and skip Maraschino liquor if you do not have it in hand.
Points to Remember while making this Cherry margarita
Make sure to use pitted cherries .
If you are using frozen cherries you don’t need to thaw them just muddle them with sweetner.
Cherries requires extra time for muddling than regular berries like blueberries or strawberries as they have thicker skin than berries.
To extract more lime juice make sure to microwave the lime 10 -20 secs or roll them forcefully before squeezing the juice .
For the rim of glass either use salt or salt-sugar combo or want a spicy touch go ahead use tajin seasoning for the rim.
For garnishing either use halved cherries or whole cherries.
9 MORE MARGARITA RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Strawberry Margarita : Delicious strawberry margarita with fresh strawberries, tequila , triple sec, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Pineapple Margarita : Delicious no sugar added pineapple maragrita with fresh pineapple juice, tequila, triple sec , lime and lemon juice
- Apple Cider Margarita : Delicious apple cider pomegranate margarita easy to make fall themed drink.
- Cranberry Prosecco Margarita : Delicious Cranberry Prosecco Margarita for casual evening or entertaining friends and family.
- Mango Margarita : Delicious fruity mango margarita with fresh mango juice, tequila, triple sec and lime juice
- Pomegranate Ginger Margarita : Delicious Pomegranate Ginger Margarita made with ginger simple syrup, Tequila, triple sec, lime juice and pomegranate juice.
- Tamarind Ginger Margarita : Delicious tangy zesty tamarind ginger margarita with touch chili lime salt makes an excellent drink for margarita lovers.
- Watermelon Margarita : Watermelon margarita is a boozy, colorful cocktail on the rocks with spicy kick from Jalapeno Simple syrup and is perfect for summer get together.
- Prickly pear Margarita Delicious and colorful Prickly PearMargarita made with fresh prickly pear fruit puree and juice, lime juice,tequila, and Triple Sec with a splash of simple syrup.
In conculsion, this drink is the most delicious and delightful way to enjoy cherries. Served poolside or at a barbecue. Great drink to serve with your guest or even girl’s day out.
If you want you can make a big batch cocktails of this chery margarita which is versatile, delicious, and multi-seasonal with fresh and frozen cherries. Just double or triple the ingredients.
This is lightly sweet margarita; you can increase or decrease the amount of sweetener depending upon your taste buds.
If you try this recipe tag me on @nidhinikhil on Instagram or @zestysouthindiankitchen in Facebook. I would love to see your creations.
- 8 Fresh cherries pitted
- 1.5 oz Tequila
- 0.5 oz Maraschino Liquor
- 1 oz Fresh lime juice
- 0.25 oz Nectevia / agave
- 2 cherries for garnish
- Lime wheel for garnish
- Ice cubes
- Salt for rim
- Rub the rim of a chilled margarita glass with the lime wedge. Dip the rim of the glass salt to coat it.
- Muddle 8 cherries in large glass with agave, and to this add lime juice, Tequila and Maraschino liquor then add the mix into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes and shake 5 to 7 times.
- Pour the margarita into the glass with ice and garnish with halved cherries and lime wheel or fruit of your choice.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.