Delicious Cherry-plum muffins, made with cherry plum a hybrid of cherry and plum. Breakfast muffin with touch of aromatic cardamom, ground ginger and nutmeg.
At grocery store and find some new produce you get excited too much and buy them. Then after coming home you want to bake with it. Recently I bought Cherry Plum from local HEB and made this Cherry Plum Muffins,
What is Cherry plum?
Cherry plum are cute little fruit about the size of a small plum. It is cross over of cherry and plum. It has a gorgeous red-purple hue and a cherry-like stem. Cherry plums have the perfect amount of cherry tartness and mellow sweetness from plums and is a wonderful summer treat. Season is generally start from the end of June until August.
Cherry Plums are extremely nutritious with a variety of health benefits to offer. They contain many vitamins and minerals in addition to fiber and antioxidants and may help reduce your risk of several chronic diseases. You can consume plums fresh or dried.
Some varieties have sweet fruits that can be eaten fresh, while others are sour and better for making jam. I read that Cherry plums are a key ingredient in Georgian cuisine where they are used to produce tkemali sauce, as well as several popular dishes, such as kharcho soup and chakapuli stew
I love my HEB as they help me to find these unique treats which I can fell in love with.
Just like cherry plum which is hybrid of cherry and plum, there is plumcot is which is cross between apricot and plum. I am on the lookout for that next time when I am shopping.
Cherry plums contain an estimate of 1.4 g of dietary fiber/100 g of fruit. Most of the fiber is located in the skin of the fruit and is both soluble and insoluble thus they are good source a soluble fiber called pectin. Ripe cherry plums provide anywhere between 10% and 20% of the RDI of vitamin C, while the unripe fruit may contain up to several times the amount. Vitamin C has antioxidant benefits, reduces inflammation in the body and boosts immunity.
How I made Cherry Plum Muffins?
I think you can bake any dishes with cherry plums. Since it is small, getting out from the pit is not that easy but not difficult as cherries though as the seed is bigger than cherries. You need to core and remove the seeds. I cut them into small ¼ inch pieces as well horizontal for placing it in the top. I found that these cherry plums are great for baking as the fruit hold its shape after baking.
If you can get try this delicious cherry plum muffins, you will love it, I have added flour, almond meal, full fat yogurt, fruit and sweetener and egg. Exotic spices like cardamom , ginger and nut make this simple muffin delicious and aromatic.
Here comes the recipe for you.
Cherry Plum Muffins
- 1 cup/125g All purpose flour
- ¼ cup / 25g almond flour
- ¼ cup/ 50g sugar
- 2 tablespoon /28g brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup whole milk yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped Cherry plum + 4 cherry plum sliced
- 2 tablespoon silvered almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and line a 12-cavity muffin tin with paper liner and set aside.
- Core and remove the seed of Cherry plum and chop it into half inch pieces, about 10 cherry plum makes about 1 cup.
- In a bowl add, flour, almond flour/meal, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix well.
- In another bowl beat egg, both granulated sugar and brown sugar, then add yogurt and melted butter and combine well.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine well. To this add chopped cherry plums and fold in.
- Transfer to prepared muffin tin and top with sliced cherry plum and slivered almonds.
- Bake it in pre-heated oven for 20-25 min or until tooth inserted comes out clean.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.