Delicious Chocolate Crackle Cookies a chewy chocolatey brownie like cookies with crackles on the top. Excellent cup of milk.
My kids are chocolate fans, if I give it 3 times day they will still be happy to have it. But I won’t do that, nowadays I freeze big batch of chocolate chips cookies and bake them whenever I need it. This Sunday while watching the Super Bowl my little guy wanted chocolate chip cookies. I told him it is finished, and I will make it for you tomorrow. He started crying saying I am hungry I need chocolate chip cookies. Okay I said I will bake chocolate cookies for you but not with chocolate chips as I needed a blog post also. Finally, he agrees to make this chocolate crackle cookies. I asked him can I add some nuts and his answer was a big NO.
Thus, I made this chocolate crackle cookies, these are easy to put together, you need cocoa powder and egg and flour. It is a simple brownie like cookies. I didn’t roll it in powder sugar, he told me no to that too. If I can reduce little bit of sugar that is fine, isn’t it?
My kids like brownies too, since I am lazy to make brownies from scratch I use pre-mix. They don’t have a problem with that. But for cake and cookies they want to make it from scratch. Maybe I spoiled them with homemade cookies and cakes.
If you like to have nuts in your chocolate cookies then go ahead with walnuts, almonds or pecans. I would love to add but then I must finish it, my son will say you didn’t listen to me.
This cookie doesn’t require refrigeration may be because it has little shortening along with butter, and they won’t spread too much while baking. Make sure to bake until it is just set, otherwise it will reduce the chewiness of the cookies. Both of my kids approved it and told me this is the best cookie. So, give them a try.
Chocolate Crackle Cookies
- 1 cup /130g all-purpose flour
- ½ cup /44g unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon /1g baking soda
- ½ tablespoon /2g baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon /1g salt
- 6 tablespoon /84g unsalted butter slightly softened
- 2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- ½ cup/68g brown sugar
- ½ cup/100g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a kitchen aid stand mixer bowl cream butter and shortening well then incorporate the both sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in egg, , and then the vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour mixture and mix on medium low just until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Drop the dough by the heaping tablespoonful of cookie dough into about 2 inches apart onto the cookie sheets. Bake until they’re still very soft but no longer look wet, about 10-12 minutes until it just set and crackle on the top. Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.