Chocolate Fig Mice is really cute and little spooky healthy treat for kids during this Halloween.
October is here and it is the month of Halloween, and yes my kids are excited for their Halloween party. In our neighborhood we have a Halloween party planned for kids mainly pumpkin carving, games, costumes, trick treat on 29th on Saturday and then there will be trick treat on Halloween day that is on 31st October. So they get two chances to wear their costumes. My kids are so much into Halloween that I have started making treats for them since the last few years. This year I decide to try chocolate fig mice which I saw in Food network magazine last year.
Last year I couldn’t find make it as I was not able find good sized figs in store. This year I was able to find it so decide to give it a try. Do you know we even planted a fig tree in our backyard, not sure when it will bloom and get me figs to make this treats. Chocolate fig mice are really cute and healthy snack or dessert idea if you planning a Halloween party at home.
I don’t like to make cakes as my kids only want to eat the frosting then when it comes to cake, and they are already sugar loaded, and so not much room to eat any more. In case of cookies my kids only loves chocolate chips cookies. With picky eaters, I try to make easy treat which they love to eat, chocolate is their weakness. These are easy treat; you need semi sweet chocolate chips, Figs, sliced almond, orange sprinkles and black licorice laces.
Only difficulty part of this recipe is the gathering of all the ingredients and little time to prepare ahead on the day. Since I have to tend to the possibility of chocolate being burnt if I am melting it without adding any fat, I decide to use some coconut oil. I think it is a safe idea to get a smooth chocolate. I made only 6 pieces so you can increase the volume of chocolate and fig if you need more. If you are planning to make it for party, make it on the day before, that way you will be ready on time.
My chocolate mice shape depends upon the figs shape. So try to use perfect fruit. Are you ready to make a cute little treat for your kids and family then here is recipe.
Chocolate Fig Mice
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 6 fresh black Mission figs
- 6 3 - inch pieces black licorice laces
- 12 sliced almonds
- 12 orange sprinkles
- Put the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted. Let cool slightly.
- Dip the figs in the melted chocolate,
- turning to cover completely;
- lift out with a fork and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Use the remaining melted chocolate to attach a licorice piece to the rounded end of each fig for the tail.
- While the chocolate is still soft, stick 2 sliced almonds on the pointy end of each fig for ears, then add 2 orange sprinkles for eyes. Refrigerate until serving, at least 20 minutes.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.