Delicious, moist, lightly sweetened chocolate walnut streusel Muffins with plenty of rich chocolate flavor with walnut streusel topping.
Are you a chocolate lover like me, then try this best breakfast chocolate muffins you can think of to pair with morning coffee? Yes, this is a slightly sweet chocolate walnut streusel muffins and is perfect as morning treat.
What is major difference between a chocolate cupcakes and chocolate muffins?
1) Cupcakes are usually sweeter, lighter, and fluffier, while muffins are usually more savory and denser. Also, muffins usually have a dome top which is often crunchier than the rest of the body.
2) In the case of muffins, there is no creaming of butter and sugar as usually in a cup cake, however just mixing wet ingredients with dry ingredients as muffins
3) There is no chocolate ganache or any frosting, only streusel topping like a muffin.
4) This is not overly sweet as chocolate cupcakes but just enough sweet so that you can pair with your breakfast.
5) Cupcakes are usually smaller in size compared to muffins.
How to Make chocolate Walnut Streusel Muffins?
You need following ingredients to make this muffin
Flour: I have used all-purpose flour; you can use whole wheat flour if you want.
Cocoa powder: I used unsweetened cocoa powder. You can use Dutch processed cocoa powder too.
Bitter chocolate: I used Divine unsweetened 100% Cacao Chocolate which has 0 sugar. If you want, you can use your favorite bittersweet chocolate however it will have about 10% to 50% sugar.
Brown sugar: I used dark brown sugar, you can use light brown sugar or granulated sugar. If you are using granulated sugar use less unless you want an overly sweet muffin. Adding brown sugar increases the moistness of the muffins.
Sour cream: Make this chocolate walnut streusel muffins moist along with addition of oil. You can use Greek yogurt if you do not want sour cream.
Oil: I used canola oil; you can use vegetable oil. Oil adds moisture to the muffins.
Baking soda: If you are using cocoa powder in the recipe, then the best leavener will be baking soda.
Walnuts: Toasted walnuts add more flavor than untoasted one, both batter and in the streusel.
Espresso powder: Make this chocolate walnut streusel muffin more chocolatey yes it brings out chocolate flavor rather than tasting as coffee.
Boiling water: Using boiling water with chocolate will help to dissolve and 'bloom' the cocoa powder with as few cocoa lumps as possible; also brings out more chocolatey flavor.
Eggs: adds structure and act as leavener and flavor the muffin. It is the balance between eggs and flour that help provide the height and texture of many of the baked goods
In streusel topping contains flour, butter, and brown sugar. If you want, you can add cinnamon too.
Variations to this Chocolate walnut streusel Muffins
You can try different nuts like pecans, almonds, and hazelnuts instead of walnuts
You can try to add cherries and raspberries, both dried and fresh in the batter. Try to keep nuts in the streusel toppings.
If you do not like nuts, you can add oatmeal in streusel topping to make it chocolate oatmeal streusel muffins.
Tips to make this Chocolate walnut streusel muffins
1) Use boiling water to dissolve both espresso powder, cocoa powder, and bitter chocolate.
2) Toast walnuts and use chopped walnuts for the dough while pulsed walnuts are used for streusel
3) You need to bake the muffins at 375 °F to get the normal dome shaped muffin.
Why wait, try this just-sweet-enough, chocolatey muffin with plenty of rich chocolate flavor and nutty crunch on every bite. Excellent dish for your breakfast table. If you try this recipe please tag me @nidhinikhil in Instagram and Zesty South Indian kitchen in @facebook .
I have made this Chocolate Walnut streusel muffins as part of Muffin Monday
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
- Blueberry Oat Flour Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Churro Mini Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Walnut Streusel Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Muffins from Magical Ingredients
- Healthy-ish Blueberry Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Loaded Breakfast Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Miner's Mini Muffins from Making Miracles
- Yiaourti me Meli (Greek Yogurt and Honey) Cornbread Muffins from Food Lust People Love
Chocolate Walnut Streusel Muffins
- 1 cup 125g all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1g) Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon 1g salt
- ⅓ cup 91g boiling water
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp ( 32g ) cocoa powder ( I used unsweetened )
- 2.5 ounce 71g bitter chocolate ( I used unsweetened 100% cacao)
- ½ teaspoon Instant espresso powder
- ½ cup+ 2 tablespoon ( 125g) packed dark brown sugar ( if you want sweet muffin change to granulated sugar )
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon (60g) Canola oil (You can use vegetable oil too )
- ¼ cup +2 tbsp (99g) sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup+ 2 tbsp Walnut toasted and chopped finely
- ¼ cup Walnut toasted
- 1 tablespoon 15g all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon 15g dark brown sugar packed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit (190 C) line the muffin with liner.
- Roast the Walnut in baking sheet at 375 F for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor or a chopper add roasted walnut, brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and salt. Pulse few times, then add butter and pulse 2-3 times more and set aside in a bowl
- In a medium bowl, add flour, salt and baking soda and whisk together.
- In another bowl add hot water, instant expresso powder, cocoa powder, and bitter chocolate mix well so that everything will be combined well also chocolate melted completely.
- In a large bowl add egg, sugar and oil and mix well to this add chocolate mixture in two additions.
- Then add vanilla extract and sour cream and mix once again.
- Finally add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and just mix everything make sure not to over mix the batter.
- Finally fold in the toasted chopped walnuts into the muffin batter.
- Transfer the batter into prepared muffin tin and top with streusel topping.
- Bake at 375-degree Fahrenheit (190 C) for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in muffin tin for about 10 minutes and remove from the muffin tin and cool completely and serve.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.