Disclosure: I received samples form Barlean’s as part of #recipemakeover . However all the opinion are mine.
Delicious coconut oil chocolate chip cookies with secret ingredient(digestive blend made of chia ,flax, coconut, pumpkin spices)
My son likes chocolate chip cookies a lot, and he always requests me to make some. And for that reason I make cookies very often. This time for change I wanted to make it with coconut oil. I was planning to use coconut oil in baking for long time, because I love coconut oil and use it in curries, without it I won’t feel it as a curry. As part of #RecipeMakeover challenge I got a sample of Barlean’s butter flavored coconut oil and Barlean’s digestive blend, as decided to try it in baking.
Earlier I had made chocolate chip cookies with spelt flour, but this time since I am using coconut oil and digestive blend in my cookies I didn’t want to make too many changes. Also if I make too drastic changes then nobody will eat it. I need to get my kid’s approval they are chocolate lovers. For them chocolate is best food in the world.
I read coconut oil makes everything crispy when comes to baking. My kids are not crispy cookies fan; they prefer chewy cookies, so I like this recipe of adding cornstarch. My take on this recipe is adding butter flavored coconut oil and Digestive blend which is mixture of flax seed, chia , coconut, pumpkin and quinoa all the good things. I added about 2 tablespoon into the cookie dough, I will increase the amount next time.
One thing I found that cookies have more brown color than the regular chocolate chip cookies; this may be due to brown sugar or coconut oil. I didn’t know but they taste delicious. Both my kids tasted and told me “Mama these are best cookies”. So next time when you plan to make chocolate chips cookies try this recipe using Barlean’s butter flavored coconut oil and Barlean’s digestive blend. Trust me you will love it. Some time healthy touch to dishes may not be boring. So give it a try and let me know.
Make sure to enter the giveaway here to win some exciting goodies from various sponsors.Also don’t forget to visit other bloggers to see amazing collection of #recipemakeover dishes.
Coconut oil chocolate chip cookies
- 2 tablespoon (17g) Barlean’s digestive blend
- ½ cup (125g) coconut oil ( Barlean’s butter flavored coconut oil)
- ½ cup brown sugar (96g)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar ( 83g)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup (195g) all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon (5g) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 cup (206g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl add flour, corn starch, salt, baking soda and digestive blend and mix well and set aside.
- In the bowl of kitchen-aid stand mixer add brown sugar, granulated sugar and coconut oil and cream well.
- To this add egg and vanilla extract and mix well once again.
- Then add dry ingredients in two addition and mix well
- Finally fold in chocolate chips and combine everything well.
- Make small balls of 1 ½ to 2 tablespoon dough place it in a parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate the dough for about 2 hours.
- By the end of refrigeration time pre-heat oven to 350F and bake the cookies for about 8-12 minutes. Center is not done the edge start brown in color.
- Cool the cookies in rack for 5 minutes and enjoy.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.