Delicious and moist Coffee Cake Muffins flavored with coffee and crunchy topping, goes well cup of coffeeAre you fan of Coffee Cake just like me and want to try it in individual size form then this is one you are looking for, Coffee Cake Muffins? These muffins have secret ingredient “coffee”, I am coffee person who wants to start the day with a cup of Coffee. This Coffee Cake Muffins make perfect accompaniment to the cup of coffee.
What is Coffee Cake?
Do you know April 7 is National Coffee Cake Day? The first coffee cakes are thought to have originated in Germany. These were more like sweet breads than cakes.
In Hungary, a type of coffee cake is aranygaluska, which utilizes cinnamon. Also, coffee cake evolved from variety of different cakes. The Danish came up with the earliest versions of coffee cake. Around the 17th century in Europe, it became the custom to enjoy a delicious sweet and yeasty type of bread when drinking coffee beverages.There are many available combinations, everything from blueberry oatmeal sour cream coffee cakes to cinnamon walnut coffee cake and more.
Coffee cake is more a cake with a much smaller amount of topping. Whereas in crumb cake there is large amount of topping.
How I made this Coffee Cake Muffins
In this coffee cake muffin, I have added instant coffee for coffee flavor, sour cream adds moistness to the muffin. It also has the characteristic of moist coffee cake. The streusel topping consists of pecans, rolled oats, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Coffee and cinnamon make wonderful combo.
Points to remember
Dissolving instant coffee in warm water gives uniform distribution than simply mix in with dry ingredients.
You can skip rolled oats from the streusel topping if you want. I like the crunch it gives.
If you do not like pecans, you can add walnuts to toppings.
If you want extra coffee flavor you can add little bit coffee extract to batter.
If you do not want sour cream, then substitute with Greek yogurt.
These are easy and moist coffee cake muffins; they remain moist even after day. If you like coffee, then you will like this muffin too.
I have baked this coffee cake muffins as part of Muffins Monday.
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
- Celebratory Gluten-Free Strawberry Muffins from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Coconut Banana Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Mocha Muffins from Making Miracles
- Coffee Cake Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Cornbread Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Sweet Potato Sprouted Spelt Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Toffee Mocha Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Tomato Basil Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Wild Violet Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
Coffee Cake Muffins
- ¼ cup 28g diced pecans
- ¼ cup 25g rolled oats
- ½ cup 57g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons 43g soft butter
- ⅓ cup 71g brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup 180.6g Unbleached all -purpose flour
- ¾ cup 149g granulated sugar
- ½ cup 8 tablespoons, 113g butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake papers, or grease it lightly.
- Prepare the topping by mixing the ingredients together until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a small cup add instant coffee powder and mix well with hot water and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream and coffee.
- Add dry ingredients mixture and just combined well. It is okay to see dry bits of flour there.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tin using a tablespoon cookie scoop.
- Sprinkle generously with the topping, pressing it in lightly.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- After baking remove the muffins from the oven and wait 5 minutes before transferring them from the pan to a rack to cool.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.