Delicious cream of asparagus and spinach creamy soup with full of green spring vegetables
The spring is here and it is time to tend to our gardens. We started fix our garden this weekend, by cutting off all the weeds, and renewing the vegetable bed with fresh garden soil. We put seeds in vegetable beds and some seeds of flowering plants in pots. Now our wait begins, last year few vegetables didn’t want to grow. We will see how it goes this year. In the rest of the yard there not much space left, as it has curry leaves plant, orange, lemon, neem and oleander trees. Gardening is indeed lots of work, but satisfying when you see the trees bloom. Last week shopping I bought a bunch of asparagus from Wal-Mart, and decided to try this delicious cream of asparagus and spinach soup.
I have tried stir-fry with asparagus earlier. And I have seen recipes of spicy pickled asparagus, but did not want to try the pickles as I have not been successful with putting together a good pickle. So next in line was to try either soup or oven roasted asparagus. Then I thought if it is soup, my hubby will love it, so decided to try it. I want to make it little healthier so added a bunch of spinach also. I used heavy cream and butter sauté if you want you can make it vegan by substituting with coconut oil and coconut milk.
I have mentioned the health benefits of Asparagus in this post. If you have bunch of asparagus and spinach try this one. If you don’t want to add spinach you can add green peas. That makes soup delicious too.
Indeed fun to welcome spring with bright green color soup. Here is my recipe of cream of asparagus and spinach soup.
Cream of asparagus and spinach soup
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped and cut it into pieces, remove the thick ends at the bottom
- Half of one onion
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tablespoon butter/olive oil
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups of homemade vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a sauce pot heat butter and add chopped onion
- and fry until it becomes translucent.
- To this add chopped asparagus ( make sure to remove the thick bottom part, set aside few tips for garnishing the soup) and
- sauté for about 4 minutes to this add chopped spinach and ginger piece and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Then add vegetable stock, salt and cook for about 10 minutes or until asparagus become soft and tender.
- When it is cold enough touch using immersion blender or blender grind them into fine puree. If you want you can strain and remove any thick pieces.
- Bring back the soup to heat and add pepper and heavy cream and bring it to rolling boiling.
- Blanch the set aside tips of asparagus for 3 minutes in boiled water. Drain and garnish the soup with it.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.