If you are looking for a quick breakfast cake loaded with dates then here is a date loaf cake. It is a perfect with a cup of coffee.
This is simple recipe which requires mixing just wet and dry ingredients, and fold in dates and bake it. Usually most of the recipes requires pureeing of dates. However, this uses chopped dates that too without any soaking in alcohol or boiling with water or fruit juice.
Little bit history behind this date loaf cake.
Dates are exotic fruits in America during the 20th century. Also, it is one of the food crops sought for by US farmers to grow by “ Agriculture Explorers” employed by US Department of Agriculture. California’s arid conditions are perfect growing dates and Algerian date palm were planted in California in 1900 and it launched the domestic dates Industry.
Dates are known to have anti-oxidant, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory activity
To introduce the dates in American kitchen they started writing about back of the box recipes with dates for making date nuts cakes and bread.
This Recipe is adapted from American Cake by Anne Byrn. I have made few changes to adjust our taste.
How to make this Date loaf cake
You need following ingredients to make this cake.
All purpose flour : I used unbleached all-purpose flour . You use a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour also.
Baking Soda and Baking powder : I used both leavener here.
Butter: You need to use softened butter and creaming of butter with sugar and incorporate more air into the cake batter.
Spices : I have added warm spices like cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg .
Sugar : Only 2 tablespoon of granulated sugar is used you can skip that if you want to make it sugar less one. This gives characteristic caramel color to the loaf cake.
Egg: I have added one large egg which adds extra moisture to the cake.
Dates : I used pitted dates which is chopped into thin slices so that it will not sink to the bottom of the cake
Buttermilk/ Yogurt: I have used yogurt you can use either of them .
This date loaf cake is delicious by itself but if you want you can make the following variation.
1) Add your favorite nuts, walnuts, pecans and coconut will go really well.
2) You can add fruits, like pears, apples, and bananas .
3) It also pair well with warm flavors, like cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger
How to serve this Date loaf cake?
You can serve as such or serve with cream cheese ,goat cheese or soften butter.
Do you love dates recipes?
Uniqueness of this recipe it uses whole dates, not pureed, or paste. So, it requires no soaking or cooking of the dates. Even though original recipe asked for ¾ cup of sugar I found that it is going to be overly sweet. With 2 tablespoon sugar and 1 cup dates you get sweet enough have it as breakfast cake.
Date Loaf cake
- 2 cups 260g All purpose flour
- 1 cup 163g Pitted dates ( about 18 no)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup yogurt/ butter milk
- 1 large egg
- Pre heat oven to 350°F/ 176°C. Grease a 9 x5 inch pan with butter and flour and line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda , cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and set aside.
- Mean while add 1 tbsp flour mix to chopped dates and coat well. This will help to prevent the dates from sinking to the bottom while baking.
- In another bowl beat soften butter with sugar once it is creamed well incorporate egg and mix once again. Then add yogurt and combine everything.
- To this add dry ingredients in two batches and mix well so that is just combined do not over mix.
- Finally fold in the dates and transfer the cake batter to prepared loaf tin. And bake at 350°F/ 176°C for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Then slice and serve.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.