Delicious dulce de leche ice cream made with 4 ingredients, heavy cream, dulce de leche , milk and vanilla extract. Ice cream without egg .
It is October and that means Halloween is coming at the end of month. This is also the month of scary TV shows. I never get a chance to watch any shows as my kiddos busy are watching their “Frozen” and “Lion King”. Nowadays I make ice cream at home, and kids love it, as I can try lot of flavors. I was planning to make Dulce de leche ice cream for long time, and yesterday I did get some time to make it. Yes I finally I made sinful, dulce de leche ice cream. Each bite brings you a great feeling which we can’t put in words.
Dulce de leche is a Argentinean dessert, popular in Latin American countries. It is made with sugar and milk. In Argentina it is made with milk, sugar and little vanilla essence and baking soda. In other countries it is made with just milk and sugar. Dulce de leche is made by slowly heating the sugar and milk until entire water content is evaporated and making it into thick creamy brown color deliciousness
The first historic mention of dulce de leche comes from a peace meeting between Juan Manuel de Rosas and his political enemy, Juan Lavalle, in 1829. According to legend, dulce de leche was produced by accident when Manuel de Rosa's maid was cooking some milk and sugar and she was unexpectedly called. Upon her return, the mixture had transformed into a thick, brown consistency. From that point forward, the new dessert was referred to as dulce de leche. It is also mentioned dulce de leche is made in the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil.
I can get dulce de leche from my Latin American Grocery store. If you can’t find one then simply piercing a few holes in the top of a can of condensed milk and then place it in a pan of boiling water with the holes facing up.
Simmer for 30 minutes if you want runny dulce de leche or for up to 4 hours for thicker consistency. You can also make dulce de leche in oven see the recipe here . If you want to make from scratch then see this recipe. If you have pressure cooker you can make with that too.
How to Make Dulce Leche Ice cream?
Coming to the ice cream recipe, it is really easy, you need 1 cup of heavy cream and 1½ cup milk, and 13 ounce can of dulce de leche, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract.
First boil the milk and cream for 6 minutes and then mix dulce de leche, and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract. Chill for few hours or overnight. I prefer overnight so that it can get more flavor.
Next morning make ice cream in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer instructions. You can also make this ice without ice cream maker.
It is very delicious and my kids loved it, they were licking the spoon as soon as Ice cream machine start working. So give it a try, it is easy; you can try a new flavor if you like. Here comes the recipe.
Dulce de Leche Ice Cream
- 1 ½ cups milk I used 2%
- ¾ cup+2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 13.4 oz dulce de leche
- ⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Special equipment: an ice cream maker
- In a heavy sauce pan, bring milk and cream boil for 6 minutes over moderate heat,
- then remove from heat and whisk in dulce de leche until dissolved. Whisk in vanilla and transfer to a metal bowl. Do a quick chill in an ice bath for 15- 20 minutes or chill it in refrigerator for overnight, I like to do overnight chilling.
- Next morning make ice cream in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 1 hour.
If you don't have ice cream machine: try this method.
- First freeze a baking dish while you are preparing the ice cream mixture. Pour mixture into frozen baking dish, freeze for 45 minutes. Take it out, break up frozen bits with whisk or spatula. Repeat this process at 30 minute intervals until it’s nearly impossible to break apart anymore. Scoop into Tupperware containers and place in freezer until ready to serve
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.