Story behind Gingerbread Man
How to make ginger bread cut out cookies?
Points to remember while making easy gingerbread cutout cookies :
Instructions to make easy Gingerbread cutout Cookie Dough
Easy gingerbread cutout cookies
- 1 ½ cup All purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ +⅛ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup butter room temperature
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- Royal Icing
- 2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon Meringue powder
- 4 tablespoon Water
- 2-3 drops rose water.
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, (or with a hand mixer) beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and beat until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated. Combine everything to form smooth dough.
- Wrap the Dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least two hours or even overnight). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface transfer and roll out the dough to a thickness of about ¼ inch sheet. Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies. With an offset spatula lift the cookies onto the baking sheet, placing about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. If you are hanging the cookies or using as gift tags, make a hole at the top of the cookies with a straw or end of a wooden skewer. (If cookies are a little soft, place the baking sheet (with the cookies) in the fridge for about 10 minutes. This will prevent the cookies from losing their shape.)
- Bake for about 8 - 12 minutes depending on the size of the cookies. They are done when they are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If you want you can press raisins, currants, or candies into the dough for eyes and buttons while the cookies are still warm. Otherwise, confectioners frosting can be used to decorate the cookies. Store it in an airtight container.
- Royal Icing: In an electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), mix powdered sugar, meringue powder and water and rose water to from frosting consistency of your choice. Tint frosting with food color, if desired. Place the frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip and decorate the gingerbread men as desired.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.