Delicious and easy Sourdough Dinner Rolls made with active starter, touch of honey , flour and salt. Excellent with a bowl of soup .
If you are looking for a perfect sourdough dinner rolls recipe then here it is. This is only naturally leavened dough without any addition of yeast. It takes time to rise but tastes delicious with only a hint of sourdough. Best part is that you do not need to work hard, just mix and leave it at room temperature and next day bake. These Easy sourdough dinner rolls are excellent for your Thanksgiving dinner table or with your favorite soup.
How to make Soft Sourdough Dinner Rolls
If you are looking for a chewy dinner rolls go for bread flour otherwise all-purpose flour is the best choice. Whole wheat dinner rolls are good, but they can be dense.
Instead of water try to use whole milk. Milk adds extra creaminess and is richer and has a velvety texture. Milk makes a softer crust even in crusty sourdough bread due to its sugar and butterfat content. Milk also improves the keeping quality of breads and contributes nutrients.
Honey is used as sweetener in this dinner rolls. Usually 0-10% for the sugar is used in Sourdough bread. Here I have used around 8%. More than that will disturb the balance of organisms in the sourdough culture.
Eggs are known to add richer flavor, build structure, as fat in egg yolks helps shorten the gluten strands in bread dough, increasing the gluten's elasticity. This results in a more tender crumb and softer crust in the finished bread. Additionally, the coagulating property of eggs, due to their proteins helps create a more tender and even texture and helps in the Caramelization of bread.
Butter softened room temperature butter is used in the recipe which creates a more even distribution of fat throughout the dough yielding a tender final product.
Salt works to tighten the gluten strands that are formed, which makes them stronger. By strengthening these gluten strands, salt enables the dough to hold carbon dioxide more efficiently. You need to use around 1.2 % of salt.
Leaven: You need to use young leaven to make less sour sourdough dinner rolls and they are the peak of activity.
Timeline to make this Easy sourdough dinner rolls
You can either bake everything on a single day starting from making dough, then shape and bake if you made leaven night before.
Second option will be you can make leaven and mix the dough leave it room temperature for overnight and next morning shape and bake.
Third option will be making leaven, mix the dough and keep at room temperature for 4 hours and then refrigerate overnight and next morning shape and bake.
While baking this sourdough dinner rolls, you do not need to brush them with egg wash. But when it comes out of the oven it will be nice if you brush with butter that will keep the bread moist.
These sourdough dinner rolls are great on the bake so if you are planning to make for Thanksgiving, prepare day before and bake it in the morning or make them ahead and freeze them. Later just warm it in the oven.
Here is other Sourodough Dinner rolls recipes you want to take a look at it.
These dinner rolls taste great with simple butter, if you have honey butter in hand it will more delicious.
If you made this recipe please tag me @nidhinikhil and Zesty South Indian Kitchen.
Easy Sourdough Dinner Rolls
- 25 g Active Sourdough starter
- 100 g bread flour
- 100 g water
- 400 g All purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 40 g Honey
- 206 g Leaven
- 130 g milk I used full fat milk
- 6 g salt
- 30 g butter
- Mix bread flour, active starter and water and mix well. Set aside at room temperature for 5 hours.
- In a kitchen aid stand mixer add all the ingredients except the butter knead with dough hook to form a cohesive, sticky mass, 2 to 3 minutes on low speed of a stand mixer.
- Gradually add butter and incorporate about 1 minute on low speed. Once all
- the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer up one speed and knead the dough until it is smooth and supple though still somewhat soft and tacky, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in a warm (75°F) place for 8 to 12 hours. To develop strength in the dough, stretch and fold it in the bowl three to four times during the rest. This will increase the elasticity of the dough.
- Shape and Bake
- Next morning divide 849g the dough into 15 pieces of 56.6 g each. Shape it into small round ball and place it in a parchment lined baking pan.
- Set aside for proof of about 2 hours or until it becomes puffy.
- Bake it in 375°F for 25- 30 minutes or until golden in color.
- Enjoy, with bowl of soup, or as dinner rolls in Thanksgiving dinner table.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.