Delicious naturally leavened, Einkorn,Spelt and Whole wheat Sourdough Bread. These whole grains bring nutty sweet and delicious flavor.
If you are looking for a for simple whole grain sourdough bread then here is einkorn, spelt and whole Wheat sourdough bread. This bread has combo of 3 favorite grains. These whole grains bring nutty sweet and delicious flavor. Beautiful color of crust is contributed by the einkorn ( as they are rich in carotenoids) .
Einkorn (Triticum Monococcum) is oldest cultivated wheat, compared to all others. They tend to taste both grassy and nutty flavor with delicate gluten. It has Thiamin an essential dietary and trace mineral. Also has proteins, iron, dietary fiber, and several B Vitamins with significant amount of the powerful antioxidant Lutein.
It has Higher Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) than durum and bread wheat. Compared to polyploid wheats it has a higher content of proteins, polyunsaturated fatty acids, fructans, and phytochemicals as tocols, carotenoids, alkylresorcinols, phytosterols, and a lower α-, β-amylase and lipoxygenase activities
Spelt (Triticum spelta) is one of the popular and easy to find heirloom varieties of wheat. They are higher in protein and vitamins than common wheat.
Spelt and whole wheat gives creamy structure while einkorn adds shiny crumb with nutty and mild flavor.
Ingredients need to make this Einkorn, Spelt and Whole wheat Sourdough Bread
Whole wheat : Used whole wheat flour which is made with from hard red wheat.
Einkorn : I have used 100% organic Whole wheat. If you are using all purpose Einkorn flour you can reduce the amount of bread flour .
Spelt : I have used Whole grain organic spelt
Bread flour: I used bread flour to add some extra gluten as my earlier experiment with whole wheat alone was not able to give any rise.
Salt: Adds flavor to the sourdough and control the fermentation.
Starter: You need active sourdough starter to make this bread. Which you need to make whole wheat flour levain which has 125% hydration.
Water: Since this recipe has 51% of whole grains, it is thirsty, so hydration is about 85%.
Points to remember while making this sourdough bread.
You need to increase the water content( hydration) of both levain and dough – 125% and 85% respectively. I think we can increase the hydration of dough up to 95%.
Give a short autolyse of about 30 min to 1 hour. Not more than that.
Since einkorn and spelt has low gluten content you need to do a short bulk fermentation of about 4 hours and then proof about 12-14 hours. If you are in warm temperature, make sure bulk only 3 hours not more than that. Increased bulk can make the dough overproof. Otherwise make sure to bake same day without cold proof.
I have tried einkorn, spelt and whole wheat flour alone combo but the loaf turned out to be very dense.
This bread is nutty, creamy and delicious and can be excellent toast with little butter or with jam. You can also make excellent sandwich.
Make Leaven/Leavain 8. 00 A.M
Autolyse flour around 12.30 P.M
Incorporate leaven/levain into the dough 1.00 P.M
Add salt into dough around 1.30 P.M
After 1 hour stretch and fold the dough around 2.30 P.M
Then around 3.30 P.M stretch and fold and dough for second time.
Around 4.00 P.M Laminate the dough.
First coil fold 4.30 P.M Coil fold the dough.
Pre-shape at 5.00 P.M.
Shape the dough 5.15 P.M
Cold Retard/ Refrigerator Overnight up to 14 hours
Bake at 7.00 A.M
If you try this recipe @nidhinikhil in Instagram or zestysouthindiankitchen in facebook.
I made this bread as part of breadbakers this month’s theme “Whole grain breads”
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
- Zesty South Indian KItchen: Einkorn and Spelt Whole Wheat Flour Sourdough Bread
- Passion Kneaded: Marble Wheat Loaf
- Magical Ingredients: Multigrain Carrot Rolls
- The Wimpy Vegetarian: Oatmeal Rolls with Molasses
- Making Miracles: Seedy Soft Sandwich Bread
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Sourdough Boules with Quinoa, Oats, and Sprouted Seeds
- Food Lust People Love: Sourdough Sprouted Spelt Blini
- Sneha’s Recipe: Spelt Banana Bread
- A Messy Kitchen: Sweet Wheat Braid
- Karen’s Kitchen Stories: Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Ambrosia: Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
Einkorn, Spelt and Whole wheat Sourdough Bread
- 17 g sourdough starter I used 100% hydration 50: 50 all-purpose flour: whole wheat flour
- 50 g Whole Wheat flour
- 75 g water
- 225 g bread flour
- 100 g Einkorn flour I used 100% whole grain
- 50 g spelt flour
- 90 g whole wheat flour
- 96 g leavain
- 390 g water
- 9 g salt
- Make Levain/Leaven
- In the morning make your dough combine 1 tablespoons (17 grams) of unfed sourdough starter with 75 g of water 50 g of bread flour. Mix until there are no dry bits of flour, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit out for 4-5 hours or until it doubles in volume.
- Autolyse the flours
- In a large bowl add bread flour, einkorn , spelt and whole wheat flour and water ( set aside 5 ml water ) and mix well and set aside for 1 hour.
- Make dough
- When levain is ready incorporate it into autolyzed flour mix.
- Then after 30 minutes add salt and rest of water. Mix well and cover the dough again and set aside
- Stretch and fold
- Then stretch and fold the dough every 1 hour for until 2 hours. This means grabbing the underside of the dough and stretching it up and over the rest of the dough. Perform a few of these turns each time you handle the dough.
- Laminate the dough
- After 30 minutes of last stretch and fold do a lamination of the dough. Means spread the dough into thin sheet and fold them into a letter fold.
- Coil fold
- After 30 minutes coil fold the dough and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Shaping the dough
- Then transfer the dough lightly floured workspace and shape them into round Boule. Fold the third of the dough closest to you inward, and then stretch the dough out to the sides. Fold the right, and then left sides in toward the center. Fold the top of the dough inward, and then wrap the bottom part of the dough over it all. If you want, you can make pre-shape and set aside for 15 minutes and then make a final shape.
- Work this into a round shape, and place seam side up in a proofing basket lined well with flour.
- Cold Proof
- After transferring to Banneton, Let rise the dough overnight in the refrigerator. You can keep this cold retard up to 14 hours.
- Score and Bake
- When you are ready to bake preheat oven to 500°F.
- Remove the dough from the proofing basket and score and transfer to Dutch oven and close the lid and immediately place the top back on and return to the oven.
- Turn the heat down to 500°F and cook for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 450° F for 10 minutes with lid.
- After 15 minutes remove the top of the Dutch oven and rotate the pan. Continue to bake the bread for another 15 minutes, until the crust is deeply caramelized. Give 10-15 minutes extra if you want more crusty bread.
- If you want crackling crust after switching off the oven keep oven door ajar and keep the bread inside.
- once bread comes out of oven cool completely in the wire rack and cut it into slice and enjoy with some jam or with a bowl of soup
- Make sure to store bread in paper bag. You can slice and make a toast. These not only moist but also delicious.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.