What is a Pulissery ?
It is a yogurt based dish, a traditional Kerala cuisine. In India each state has its own version of yogurt based gravies named as kadhi, of which Punjabi, Gurajathi and Rajasahtani are famous in the northern part.
As Kerala cuisine is not complete without coconut it is a major ingredient in pulissery, as compared to yogurt based gravies in other parts of India.
How to Make Ethapazha Pulissery?
Here is the set by step pictures how to make Ethapazha pulissery?
Ethapazha Pulissery /Ripe Plantain in Coconut Yogurt curry
- 2 plantains Ripe
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon coconut grated
- ¼ cup Yogurt
- 2 cup + ¼ cup Water
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric:
- 1 Green chili I used Serrano pepper
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 Whole Red chili halved into two pieces
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- Peel ripe plantain and remove the skin using a sharp knife. Cut plantain into 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Boil 2 cups water in sauce pot and add cut plantain pieces, turmeric powder, Chili powder and salt and cook them until they become soft not mushy,( it takes about 15 minutes ). One they are cooked remove ¾th of water from the pot and set aside.
- Mean time grind grated coconut with Green chili and cumin seeds and ¼ cup water to form a fine paste.
- Add the ground paste into cooked plantain and boil for another 3 minutes or you see small bubbles coming in the top.
- Lower the flame and beaten yogurt and let simmer for another 2 minutes without letting them boil. Check salt and spices and switch off the flame.
- In a small pan heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds, red chili halves and curry leaves, once mustard seed starts spluttering remove from the fire and add to cooked plantain pulissery.
- Enjoy with rice and any side dish.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.