Everyday sourdough sandwich bread with sourdough starter , hint of sweetness from honey and buttery taste.
Everyday sourdough sandwich bread is one which you can make ahead for next day breakfast. This is made with spelt flour and bread flour. This excellent sandwich bread has a hint of sweetness from honey .
This Sandwich bread has goodness of naturally leavened yeast and other microbes. Slow fermentation not only adds deliciousness but also improve the nutritional value of bread.
If you like white bread, then every sourdough sandwich bread with spelt make it more delicious alternative.
Sourdough bread has small to moderate amounts of minerals like iron, manganese, calcium, B1-B6, B12, folate, zinc, potassium, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, selenium, iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamins.
How to make Everyday Sourdough Sandwich Bread?
First make leavain/leaven with flour and water. I have used all-purpose flour and water and after 6 hours use it for bread making. I have used 160g of leavain.
If don’t have active sourdough starter in hand. Check this to make one at home.
Bread flour : I used normal bread flour (about 12.7% protein), for sandwich bread . If you are planning to make stand alone boule then artisan bread flour which has protein of 14%.
Spelt flour : I like the nuttiness of spelt flour rather than whole wheat flour. You can use whole wheat flour if you want.
Butter: Gives buttery taste to the sandwich loaf. You can use oil if you don’t want to use butter.
Honey: gives only hint of sweetness to loaf
Water: I used around 60% of the dough. Yes, for sourdough sandwich loaf you are required to have around 55 to 65% hydration.
Salt : You need 2 % salt in sandwich bread .
Diastatic malt powder is used to get a strong rise, great texture, and lovely brown crust. I used 1 ½ teaspoon (6g) for 4 cup/ 500g flour. ( optional)
Points to remember while making sandwich bread
If you have Kitchen Aid mixer in hand, make use of that. First using paddle attachment incorporate all the ingredient except butter.
Then using the dough hook, while the machine is kneading incorporate the butter.
If don’t have Kitchen Aid mixer, after incorporating the ingredients rest the dough for 30 minutes and then incorporate butter slowly. Again, rest the dough and knead for 8-10 minutes until it is soft and supple and pass the windowpane.
If you don’t want tangy loaf: proceed with this step.
Set aside for 4 hours at room temperature and refrigerate overnight. Means do a short bulk and cold retard.
Next morning shape it into loaf and set aside until it reaches 1 ½ inch above the loaf pan.
If you are oaky with little sourdough tanginess in the background of your loaf, then proceed this step.
Do the bulk fermentation at room temperature for about 8 – 12 hours. Then shape them into loaf and set aside for another 1-2 hours for second proof and bake.
If you want sandwich bread like store bought one.
Then add ½ teaspoon around 3g yeast to the dough. Then it will not become complete sourdough bread still has flavors of sourdough. The addition of yeast will speed up the process you can get to bake the loaf on the same day itself.
Once you baked the bread cool completely before slicing.
This loaf can be frozen whole in plastic wrap or as individual slices.
If you try the loaf, please tag me in Instagram @nidhinikhil or zestysouthindiankitchen in Facebook.
If you like this everyday sourdough sandwich bread you may like these too.
Everyday Sourdough Sandwich Bread
- 15 g / 1 tablespoon Active Sourdough Starter I used bread flour starter
- 80 g Bread flour
- 80 g Water
- 400 g / 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 150 g / ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- 160 g leavain
- 20 g/ scant 1 tablespoon honey
- 85 g/ 6 tablespoon butter
- 9 g / 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 300 g / 1 ¼ cup water warm water
- 6 g / 1 ½ teaspoon diastatic malt powder
- First make Leavain with 15g active sourdough starter, whole wheat flour and water and set aside for 6 hours at room temperature.
- For dough
- In a kitchen aid stand mixer bowl, add starter, water, honey, bread flour, spelt flour , diastatic malt powder and mix well. To this gradually incorporate the butter and combine everything into a soft and supple dough .
- Stretch and fold the dough after 1 hour interval for 2 hours.
- After 4 hours or once dough doubled in volume refrigerator the dough for overnight.
- Next morning shape the dough into loaf and transfer into loaf tin.
- Set aside until the dough rise above the rim.
- Pre-heat the oven 500F/ 260C and when you are ready to bake reduce the temperature to 375F / 190C and place the loaf in baking sheet and bake for about 40-45 minutes. Bake until it's light golden brown. Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and when you tap in the bottom it hear hollow or by measuring its interior temperature with a digital thermometer (it should register 190°F at the center of the loaf).
- Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a rack before slicing.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.