Delicious and healthy Fasulye Piyazi ,Turkish Bean Salad with Vegetables and olives and served with boiled eggs.
Mediterranean cuisines as it uses mild spices and oils like olive oil, olives itself.
This Fasulye Piyazi, Turkish bean salad with vegetables you can make with ripe olives
You need following ingredients to make this Fasulye Piyazi.
White kidney beans,
flat leaf parsley.
What is Fasulye Piyazi?
Fasulye Piyazi is a beans salad made with vegetables and olives and dressing to go with made from sumac-cayenne-cumin- chili dressing. Yes sumac, cayenne, cumin and hot chili pepper are common spices used in Turkish cuisine.
How to make Fasulye Piyazi?
You can use canned beans or cooked dried beans to make this salad. If you are using dried beans then soak white kidney beans overnight, and the next morning
I cooked them in pressure cook for about 20 minutes (that is easiest way of cooking beans).
Then added onion, tomato, parsley and sliced black ripe olives.
While beans were cooking I made the dressing. Half an hour before you are ready to serve, toss the dressing into beans, vegetables and olives.
Arrange on a serving plate and garnish with the boiled halved eggs and some more black olives. Serve immediately or refrigerate until you are ready.
Health benefits of eating this salad
White kidney beans are rich in fiber so it reduces blood sugar; reduce cholesterol levels as it is rich in foliate.
Black ripe olives are as good as they taste, and contain vitamin E, iron, vitamin A, and fiber.
Traditionally this salad is served along with Turkish style meatballs and pickled cucumber and peppers.
You can make this salad as a great alternative for lunch, served with some nice crusty bread or in can be a part of a meze spread.
If you ask me the taste, I would say tangy lemony sumac perfectly blend with spicy chili and earthy, nutty, spicy cumin dressing matched with subtle white kidney beans. Veggies like onion, tomato and black olives played perfect counterpart in this salad.
For Other Turkish recipes
Fasulye Piyazi – Turkish bean salad with vegetables and olives
- ¾ cup dried White kidney beans/cannelloni beans
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- ¼ cup California ripe olives sliced
- 1 hard boiled egg quartered
- A handful of flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
For Sumac Cayenne-chili-dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak dried white kidney beans overnight
- and next morning pressure cooks them for about 20 minutes or 2 whistles. Drain the water using a colander
- While beans cooking make the dressing, in a bowl add sumac, cayenne, chili, cumin powder
- and add lemon juice and mix well
- then mix in olive oil while whisking well
- . Add the onion, chopped tomatoes, half of the olives, parsley into the bowl.
- Then add cooked beans and pour dressing over this mixture.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and combine well. Arrange on a serving plate and garnish with the eggs and remaining olives.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.