For us salad is not a side dish always, sometimes it becomes main dish also. This Fattoush salad is simple mixed vegetable salad with Arabic flat bread. I had some whole wheat pita bread in hand, so I used that to make it.
Fattoush is nothing but a bread salad that originated in Northern Lebanon. Lebanese farmers would fry leftover pita scraps in a bit of olive oil for extra flavor. And to build their fattoush, they’d simply throw the pita chips in with whatever in-season vegetables and herbs they have on hand. So, ingredient list in fattoush salad may varies according to the availability and throughout the middle east.
One thing I like about middle eastern salad is that they are very simple and only need olive oil, lemon juice and sumac. Not rich and you can say it is healthy food. Near my old house there is middle eastern grocery store and that is my favorite place to shop. They keep everything clean and neatly arranged and you can get fresh salad from their soup and salad counter. Here I am missing that. It takes about an hour to go to that store now and spending about 2 hours to travel just to shop there is not possible. So, I create the dishes I love in my kitchen. It is just easy as I have middle eastern spices and sauces in hand.
I didn’t have any romaine lettuce in hand so used iceberg lettuce, use romaine if you have in hand. Also add thin rounds of radish. I am not that fan of eating them raw, so, I didn’t add, feel free to add it if you have it in hand. I used orange bell pepper as my daughter loves it in her salad. Make sure to add fried pita bread only when you are ready to serve otherwise it gets soggy. That is not good. Just like croutons they give crunch to the salad.
- 1 cup chopped ice burg lettuce
- 1 ½ cup cubed seedless cucumber
- ½ of orange bell pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 pita bread crisped up in olive oil
- 3 green onion chopped
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- For dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tbsp sumac
- ½ tsp salt
- First crisp up the pita bread using 3 tbsp olive oil. Make sure to cut pita bread into ½ inch square pieces and fry them into the oil with little salt until it is golden.
- In a bowl mix together chopped lettuce, mint, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions and orange bell pepper.
- In another bowl add lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, sumac, pepper and salt.
- Gradually add lemony dressing over the vegetables and herbs. Mix well then add crisped up pita bread bites.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy.
Pin it for later
Looking for more Middle Eastern Salad recipes please check here0
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.