I read that you get the best variety of gongura from Guntur city of Andhra Pradesh. They make Gongura pachadi, Gongura mutton, Gongura Pickle etc. In Andhra, it is difficult consider food without gongura.
Yield: 4 serving
- 2 cups chopped Gongura/ Indian Sorrel /Roselle leaves
- ½ cup Cooked Toor dal/Split Pigeon peas
- 1 tablespoon urad dal/ split black gram
- 11/2cup water+ extra for cooking the Toor dal
- 2 no of chopped green chilies
- 2 no of Red chili halved
- ¾cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 no of garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 sprig of Curry leaves: 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves: 1 tablespoon
- Oil: 2 tablespoon (I used olive oil)
- Pluck and clean the Gongura/Roselle/Indian sorrel leaves, remove stem, wash them in running water and chop into fine pieces and set aside.
- In pressure cooker cook the toor dal with 1 ½ cup water for 3 whistles (it takes about 15-20 minutes) and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan heat 1 ½ tablespoon of oil and add , mustard, cumin seeds and crushed garlic and halved red chilies once they starts splutters add chopped onion, green chilies and curry leaves fry them until they become translucent or change color it takes about 6 minutes.
- To this add cleaned gongura leaves and cook until they are wilted it takes about 7 minutes.
- Once they are well done add cooked toor dal and turmeric and let it boil for another 9 minutes with stirring in between. Adjust salt if needed. Add water if needed to make desired consistency.
- Enjoy with rice.
- To make it authentic add little ghee and asafetodia while you remove from the fire.
- Make sure to wash gongura leaves before storing them for long time. Use it immediately as they tend to lose their charm on refrigeration.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.