Delicious green chocolate chips cookies made from scratch and with touch of green color as well as green chocolate chips
This delicious green chocolate chips cookies makes excellent St Partick Kids friendly dessert it is simple and easy to to put together. Made from scratch with touch of green food coloring and green chocolate chips.
My daughter is having spring break this week; and she wants to eat chocolate chips cookies. In the mean time I am looking for St. Patrick Day recipes. However not being courageous enough to make Irish soda bread, I decided to try these Green chocolate chip cookies.
I didn’t want to add any mint chips or mint extract to the cookie because if I add them my kids may not like it. Even my daughter is a fan of blue color and she wants everything in blue. Still she and her brother were happy to start eating these green cookies, as soon as it came out of the oven. I am planning to make shamrock shake also; I don’t know whether I get time. As tomorrow is one of Tamil Brahmin festival Karadaiyan nombu so I need to make special dishes for that. And Holi, festival of color also falls on March 17th so I need to make something for that too. So maybe next time I will make that.
What is St. Patrick Holiday?
If you don’t know about St. Patrick is holiday, it is celebrated annually on 17 March, the day of death of the most commonly-recognized saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick (c. AD 385–461).Even though it is lent time, on that day restrictions are lifted and even drinking alcohol is tradition as part of St. Patrick’s day celebration. According to Irish folklore St Patrick used 3 leaved shamrock to explain the Christian doctrine to Irish people.
How to Make Green Chocolate Chip Cookies ?
You need to add following ingredients to make chocolate chips cookies,
Along with regular chocolate chip cookie ingredients like Flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, egg, butter. you need to add green gel food coloring. and green colored chocolate chips along with semi sweet chocolate chips.
If you want you can add mint extract instead of vanilla extract.
Points to remember while making this green chocolate chip cookies.
Try to use gel food coloing for deep color. Liquid color will not be great after baking.
If you are using mint extract make sure to use less otherwise it can over power the taste of cookies.
Use a combo of green chocolate chips cookies along with semi-sweet chocolate chips
Here comes the recipe.
First make a dough
Then shape it into 1 tablespoon balls and bake .
Green chocolate chip cookies for St. Patrick Day
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¾ cups white sugar
- ½ of one jumbo egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops of green gel food coloring Increase or decrease according to your preference
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup green chocolate chips substitute with mint chocolate chips if you want
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). I used non-stick cookie sheet , if you are using baking sheet line with parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Make sure not to incorporate too air by beating to long. Beat in egg, food coloring and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into balls about one inch in diameter and flatten slightly to create round discs, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets
- Bake about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden around the edges.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.