Addictive heart shaped crunchy seeded cookies with 4 seeds includes white and black sesame seeds and fennel seeds and flax seeds.
I have tried only cookies with coffee beans and nuts, but never tried baking cookies with any seeds. I have grown up eating cashew cookies, as I loved a biscuit called Britannia Good day Cashew cookies.
These crunchy seed cookies in Adapted from Alice Medrich, Chewy, Gooey, Crispy, Crunchy, as usual wanted to try immediately. So I decide to make it a heart shaped crunchy seed cookies for this Baking Partner’s challenge. As I need one more recipe to try.
I got attracted to these cookies as it has black and white sesame seeds, flax seeds and fennel seeds. Fennel seeds give excellent flavor, so don’t skip that one. If you don’t like fennel seeds try to use anise seeds. My Indian spice roots favor fennel seeds or anything.
Do you know us Indian likes to eat sweetened fennel, and anise seeds after heavy meal, as it supposed to be helps in digestion and also it freshens breath? We call them Mukhwas. You can find them in Restaurants, wedding feast or even in homes.
You need four seeds and rest of ingredients to make this cookies.
White and black sesame seeds
Cream of tartar
Granulated sugar for the dough and Raw sugar for topping.
Instructions to make Heart shaped crunchy seed cookies ?
It is really easy to make first combine seeds and raw sugar like Demerara in a bowl. Then make the cookie dough with creaming butter and sugar, and then add egg, vanilla extract and flour mixture.
Then spread the dough and cut out into heart shaped cookies
You can replace vanilla extract with bourbon.
Try with bourbon or any type brandy of your choice.
If you are an eggless person skip the egg also you can make them vegan by substitute with vegan butter.
Points to remember while making this cookies?
Since it is extremely sticky dough make sure to refrigerate for 5 minutes. Then spread it into thin ⅛ inch thick sheet on a plastic wrap.
And sprinkle seeds and sugar mixtures press lightly with roller so that it will stick to the dough, flip carefully to lightly floured surface and then sprinkle the seeds and repeat the process.
And finally cut them into various shapes of your choice. I used Heart shaped cookie cutter to make this.
After baking at 375 ⁰F for 18 mins, you will get an addictive crispy cookie. I don’t know how much I ate in one sitting. Love it a lot.
Give it try at least one time, if you are fan of crunchy cookie lover, you will love it. This cookie has unique texture and taste with its seeds.
For more Valentine cookies recipes check here
Heart Shaped Crunchy Shaped Cookies
- 1 tablespoon 6g/0.2 oz. black sesame seeds Till/ Ellu
- 1 tablespoon 6g/0.2 oz. white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon 7g/ 0.25 oz. flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds saunf/5g/0.2 oz
- 2 tablespoon of coarse raw sugar like Demara
- 1 cup +2 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar if you don’t have substitute with ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons 1 stick butter, very soft
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ large egg skip if you don’t want
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract if you want use bourbon then it is 1 tablespoon I didn’t used it.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large shallow bowl or plate, mix seeds and coarse sugar and set aside. In a different medium bowl, combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt, and mix together thoroughly with a fork.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and granulated sugar. With a large spoon or electric mixer on medium-low, mix the butter and sugar until smooth and well-blended, but not fluffy. Add the egg and bourbon/vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Add the flour mixture, half at a time, and mix by hand until completely incorporated.
- Roll heaping teaspoons of dough into one-inch balls. Press each ball into the seed mixture on both sides (genius!), flattening the ball to a half-inch thick round. Place the cookies two whole inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, and bake for 14 to 16 minutes until cookies are slightly browned on the edges, rotating pans halfway through. Set the liners on racks to cool. Cookies will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container
- For making square cookies, line a parchment paper or plastic paper and make 8 inch square with ½ inch thick. Sprinkle with dough with half of seeds and sugar. Roll tightly over the seeds with rolling pin to press them in. Turn the dough over. Sprinkle and roll over the remaining seeds. Cut the dough into 4 equal strips in each direction to make total of 32 equal pieces. If you are using heart shaped cutter of 3 inch you will get 20 cookies.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.