Delicious Hearty Grains and Seeds Porridge Sourdough bread with hearty grains and seeds gives custard tasting soft crumb & caramelized crust. Excellent breakfast bread
Do you like a breakfast with oatmeal and sourdough, then this is best breakfast bread you can think of? Yes, a Hearty Grains & Seeds Porridge sourdough bread. This is a sourdough bread which has extra dose of protein from rolled oats, red quinoa, and chia seeds
How to make Hearty Grains and Seeds porridge sourdough bread?
You need following ingredients.
1) Flour: I used both bread flour and whole wheat flour. If you want you can entirely use whole wheat flour, but the bread will be dense.
2) Hearty Grains & Seeds porridge: I used Hearty Grains & Seeds by Soul Full Project, which is a blend of Whole Grain Oats, Oat Bran, Red Quinoa, Flax & Chia Seeds. If you are using separately add 75g of oats and oats bran, rest of red quinoa, flax, and chia seeds to make it to 125g
3) Salt: Adds flavor to the bread
4) Water: You must adjust water content of the dough as Hearty grains and seeds porridge contains water. Otherwise you will end up with a mushy dough.
Timeline to bake Hearty grains and seeds Porridge Sourdough bread
First makes leaven in the morning at around 7.00 A. M
Around 11.AM Autolyse the flours both whole wheat flour and bread flour with water and set aside for 1 hour.
Mix in leaven around 12.00 P.M and set aside for 30 minutes.
Then incorporate the Hearty grains and seeds porridge into the dough and set aside for 30 minutes.
Then add salt and incorporate.
Then stretch and fold for another 2 hours at 1-hour interval.
You need to laminate dough after 2 hours.
Set aside for 1 hour and do a coil fold.
Shape and refrigerate overnight if you are not planning to bake the same day.
If you are planning a same day bake, then shape and proof for around 2 hours at room temperature and bake.
If you like this recipe check other multigrain sourdough bread .
Points to remember
While making the porridge you need to take extra care to prevent it from going Mushy. You can cook even in microwave. You need to cook until the water has just evaporated.
Oats tend to absorb lot of water so make sure to adjust the hydration. So, while doing autolyse if it looks like just mix that is fine as we are going to add more water through porridge as well as during the addition of salt.
If you want, you can add extra nuts like sesame seeds or chopped almonds.
You need to add this porridge as add on not substituted flour amount for it.
This is soft and moist bread with caramelized crust that is very soft. Not crusty or thick. If you like soft crust sourdough bread, then this is the one.
Best if you keep the bread overnight before cutting the bread. Also, this porridge bread will stay fresh for almost a week.
This is not only delicious but also healthy bread with hearty grains and seeds.
IF you tried this recipe please tag in Instagram @nidhinikhil or in Facebook @zestysouthindiankitchen.
Hearty Grains and Seeds Porridge Sourdough bread
- 15 g starter
- 50 g bread flour
- 25 g whole wheat flour
- 75 g water
- For the dough
- 250 g bread flour
- 200 whole wheat flour
- 75 g levain
- 250 g cooked porridge I used hearty grains and seeds porridge blend from soul Full project. is a blend of Whole Grain Oats, Oat Bran, Red Quinoa, Flax & Chia Seeds. If you are using separately add 75g of oats and oats bran, rest of red quinoa, flax, and chia seeds to make it to 125g
- 10 g salt
- 310 g water
- irst make levain/leaven
- Mix starter (100% hydration of 50: 50 all-purpose flour: whole wheat flour) bread flour and whole wheat flour and set aside for 5 hours or until it double in size.
- Cook Porridge
- In sauce add 125g hearty grains and seeds porridge mixture and 250g water cook until entire water evaporates and set aside. Once it is cool down add it to dough.
- Autolyse both bread flour and whole wheat flour with 300g water and set aside for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour incorporate leaven and set aside for another 30 minutes.
- Then add cooked porridge and mix well. And set aside for another 30 minutes.
- Then incorporate the salt and rest of water. Set aside for another 30 minutes.
- Stretch and fold the dough for another 2 hours with 1-hour interval into the bulk rise.
- Laminate the dough and set aside for another hour. Coils fold the dough after 1 hour .
- After 30 minutes you can shape dough . Once you shaped the dough transfer to banneton and set aside refrigerator for cold ferment for 12 hours.
- Next morning pre-heat oven to 475 F score the dough and transfer the dough into cold Dutch oven.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven for 475 F for 25 min. Then reduce the temp to 450F for another 20 minutes Then remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes
- Best if you keep the bread overnight before cutting the bread. Also, this porridge bread will stay fresh for almost a week.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.