Delicious homemade fresh pineapple ice cream made with just 5 ingrdients, full of flavor without addtion of any egg based custard.
Today morning it was chilly and even the kids were wearing jackets to school. But by 10 in the morning it was bright and sunny and a very beautiful day. In the afternoon when I had gone to pick my daughter from school it was very nice.
We as a family love pineapple a lot. It is fruit that is always on our kitchen table, and the last weekend, I thought why I don’t I make a homemade fresh pineapple ice cream.
I have tasted pineapple coconut ice cream in favorite Haagen-Dazs brand, but never got a chance to try a pineapple ice cream. So I was skeptical of the outcome. I know the taste of pineapple, but in ice cream how would it taste I was not sure.
As usual hubby gave me a push to try it, I remember his motto, if you don’t try it how you can know the taste. My kids are the absolute taste testers when it comes to ice cream.
They start tasting it from the time I make the base, and while churning my daughter like to stand near the ice cream machine and try to scoop it at every 3 minutes intervals to test it whether it is correct taste.
I found lot of recipes that uses canned pineapple, however fresh pineapple contains bromelain, a natural mixture of two proteases (protein-digesting enzymes). Bromelain is quite effective at dividing proteins, read from here.
So if it is use directly as fruit puree addition to to heavy cream and half and half you will get something which is not what you intended it to do. So I cooked the pineapple with ¼ cup sugar in slow flame for 30 minutes, as a result the enzymes in pineapple got denatured lost its effectiveness.
The once the cooked pineapple had cooled down, it was ground into a puree and mixed with heavy cream, half and half and milk. I didn’t use eggs. Then the mixture was set aside for chilling overnight. Next day I made ice cream according to manufacturer’s instructions.
It was a delicious ice-cream full of pineapple flavor. Next time I will try with eggs also to compare the taste. You can also add some toasted coconut or coconut milk instead of heavy cream to make it pinacolada flavor.
Options are endless. I didn’t add any pieces of pineapple in the ice cream as my kids won’t like it. If you want to add finely chopped pieces, do that during the end of ice cream making. Try it you will love the fullness of natural pineapple flavor in every scoop.
I am in search of ice cream with fruit, so you can expect more delicious ice creams with various fruits and fruit combo, also there is a coffee ice cream, I am planning to make it.
Homemade fresh Pineapple Ice cream which is smooth, creamy without any adiditon of egg
- 2 cups freshly chopped pineapple
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half*
- 1/2 cup milk
- * if you can't find half and half: you can make 1 cup of half and half by mixing 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup milk
- In medium sauce bowl cook pineapple with 1/4 cup sugar in a medium flame for 30 minutes.
- once it is cool enough to touch grind them into fine puree
- In a bowl add heavy cream, half and half and milk and rest of sugar and mix well. Make sure to dissolve the sugar completely.
- To this cream- half and half- milk mixture add pineapple puree and chill it overnight in refrigerator or at least 2 hours. I have given overnight.
- Next morning make ice cream according to manufactures instructions.
If you don't have ice cream machine: try this method.
- First freeze a baking dish while you are preparing the ice cream mixture. Pour mixture into frozen baking dish, freeze for 45 minutes. Take it out, break up frozen bits with whisk or spatula. Repeat this process at 30 minute intervals until it’s nearly impossible to break apart anymore. Scoop into Tupperware containers and place in freezer until ready to serve.
Other ice cream recipes in this blog are
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.