This post has been compensated by @SCJohnson. All opinions are mine alone. #ZiplocHolidayUAI
Are you bakeaholic like me who loves to bake, cook and share? Holidays are the best time of year not only for kids who wait for Santa but also for a crazy baker like me who loves to create goodies in the kitchen. I have seen my mom cook homemade goodies a lot. Just like her, now I want to see the little smile come into the face of my two little ones when they see their favorite cookies, cakes or breads. Best buddy of my baking or cooking adventure is always Ziploc® Brand bags and containers, which I can get from Walmart.
Every day I use Ziploc® Brand bags for packing snacks and sandwiches for kids or for marinating tandoori paneer, chicken or shrimp. I like their holiday edition Ziploc® Brand Easy Open Tab storage quart family pack, 75 ct, with cute drawings of snowflakes, stars, Christmas trees, peppermint candies, candy canes, and cupcakes etc. My two kids haven’t got a chance to see real snow, as here in Houston you rarely get snow.
I love to crush my candies, nuts in Ziploc® Brand bags with a rolling pin for homemade cookies and quick breads; especially like that you can crush walnuts for our favorite banana bread. The best part is that you don’t need to worry about cleaning and you can get fine, medium or coarse, whichever level you want it.
I made simple sugar cookie dough and then cut it out into different shapes.
I have made royal icing on the homemade cookies earlier like this, this time I want to skip the royal icing part and try to decorate the cookies with chocolate and colored sugars, it will be easy and at the same time looks cute. Since I don’t want any plain sugar cookies, I dressed the cookies with chocolate and then sprinkled crushed pistachio and candy cane. Ziploc® Brand bags Easy Open Tab came to the rescue for me here.
One of my favorite things about these simple cookies is that I can make them several days in advance and freeze them, which makes them perfect for busy holidays also you don’t need any special artistic skills.
Pretty cookies make such special gifts, and are always welcome at holiday parties!
I packed the cookies in some Ziploc® Brand Easy Open Tab storage quart bags with a tag and some design papers to make them festive. You too can make ahead these cookies and pack it together with some extra care which will be excellent homemade gifts.
Homemade Holiday Cookie Gifts
- 36 Homemade sugar cookies
- 8 oz Candquik candy coating chocolate
- ¼ cup crushed pistachio
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy cane
- Edible colored sugars different colors
- 2 teaspoon meringue powder *
- 2 tablespoon water
- Ziploc® Brand Easy Open Tab storage quart bags - Family Pack 75 count
- *If you can’t find meringue powder use pasteurized egg whites.
- First, melt the vanilla and chocolate candy coating according to manufacturer's instruction and set aside.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix meringue powder in the water and set aside. If using egg whites then use that.
- First, dip one end round sugar cookies with Chocolate candy coating and then add crushed pistachio and peppermint candy canes.
- In the cut out sugar cookies paint the edges with meringue water/pasteurized egg whites. Then carefully sprinkle your favorite colored sugars.
- When you are packing the cookies in Ziploc® Brand bags add cardboard 4 inch round in the base so that cookies will stay properly. Then arrange cookies close the bag and tie with ribbon and top with printed bag toppers I used holiday themed one. Fold them over a Ziploc® Brand bag, and use double sided tape to attach them to the top. If you have some gift tags attach in the middle. You got a easy and simple holiday gifts.
Pin it for
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.