Delicious Instant pot paneer noorani, easy luscious mildly spiced restaurant favorite curry made with paneer, spices and cashew powder.
If you like Indian restaurant Paneer dishes, then you will love this one too. Paneer Noorani is one of the favorite paneer dishes in restaurant across India. I was searching for the recipe and finally found a YouTube video. Still that one is for stove top, so decided to convert it into an Instant Pot recipe.
What is Paneer?
Paneer is Indian cottage cheese which won’t melt on cooking, because it is an acid-set cheese. Paneer can be used as is. Sometimes it is fried to extend shelf life. Cooks will also sometimes fry paneer until it is slightly brown and then put the fried cubes of paneer in hot water for a few minutes. This makes paneer very soft.
Paneer tastes bland if you eat as such, but when it joins the curries it is delicious. It is sometimes used in sweets like burfi (fudge) or ladoo. I haven’t made it at home, but tasted it, and it is delicious. Here I used store bought paneer, you can also make it at home, check for recipe here.
What is famous Paneer based curries?
- Matar paneer made with green peas and paneer in tomato onion sauce.
- Kadai paneer made with paneer and vegetables.
- Saag paneer made with paneer and spinach and mustard green combo.
- Palak paneer made with paneer and spinach
- Shahi paneer, which is milder than paneer makahani, differs in spices
- Paneer Makahani/ Paneer butter masala which is butter based gravy and is rich with cashew and Almond along with usual tomato onion-based gravy.
- Tandoori paneer cubes marinated in spices and grilled in tandoor oven.
- Paneer Tikka masala which involves two parts, paneer tikka, marinated paneerpieces with yogurt and spices and then pan roast them before putting them in the curry. For the masala, onions and tomatoes are cooked and then pureed
- Paneer Lababdaris a luscious combination of paneer and exotic gravy made from tomato puree, chopped onions, cashew nuts and spices.
- Paneer Chukandar curry made with paneer and beetroot, with spices and coconut milk.
Finally, Paneer Noorani, a simple subtle paneer dishes which is not heavy on whole spices. The only whole spice used is nutmeg, cardamom, and mace. And a little heat from red chili powder/cayenne pepper. Cashew powder and Khoya or mawa is basically dried milk.
How I made Instant pot Paneer Noorani?
If you are using stove top you need to use boiled pureed onion and fresh tomato puree. Then cook and add spices. I simplified the recipe using Instant pot, first sautéed the onion, garlic and diced tomato then added the few spices and pressure cooked and then pureed and added rest of spices. Finally stars of the recipe is paneer and cashew powder and khoya or mawa. If you can’t find mawa, make a mix of milk powder, ghee and milk. Or you just skip and add some heavy cream.
Tips to remember
Make sure to use fresh paneer.
You can use fresh de-seed diced tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes.
Red onions give sweet taste, so it is better suitable for Paneer curries.
Gravy should not be thin or too much thick it should medium consistency, paneer gets coated in gravy.
If you want restaurant style taste you need to add Kasturi methi (dried fenugreek leaves) little bit. Don’t go overboard as it makes the curry bitter.
If you don’t want paneer then use chicken with this gravy. Need to cook chicken pieces in beginning then to continue with making rest gravy and instead you are adding chicken.
This Instant Pot Paneer Noorani goes well with Indian flat bread or whole wheat tortilla.
Instant Pot Paneer Noorani
- 200 grams Paneer cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 small piece of mace blade
- 2 green cardamoms
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder /cayenne pepper
- 1 cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup cashew nut powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon mawa/khoya + for garnish
- ½ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves kasuri methi powder
- 2-3 cashew nuts roasted and halved for garnish
- For Instant pot version
- Switch on sauté function on Instant pot and add onion, garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add diced tomatoes and turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder, salt and 1 ¼ cup water and close the lid.
- Pressure cook MANUAL at high pressure for 4 minutes. Then after 11 natural pressure release, remove the lid and puree the contents.
- Then switch on Sauté function when it starts boiling add cashew powder and mix well then add garam masala and mawa/khoya.
- Add cubed paneer, then mix in cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and dried fenugreek leaves powder (Kasturi Methi leaves )
- Then transfer to serving bowl garnish with mawa or khoya and roasted cashew nuts.
- Enjoy with Chapati or any flat bread.
- Stove top Version
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, crush the mace blade and add into the pan.
- Add green cardamoms and sauté till fragrant.
- Add boiled onion puree (boil onion for 3-4 min, then put in cold water and puree them). Add minced garlic and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes or till the onion turns golden brown.
- Add salt, Turmeric Powder and mix well. Add 2 tablespoons. water and stir well.
- Add chili powder and coriander powder and mix well. Add fresh tomato puree ( made with seeded tomato ) and mix well. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cashew nut powder and mix well. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir in ½ cup water and mix. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mawa, green cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and dry fenugreek leaves powder and mix well.
- Add paneer, mix well, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Switch the heat off and transfer into a serving bowl.
- Garnish with khoya and roasted cashew nuts.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.