I eat rice at least one time every day. Rice recipes always fascinates me. This Instant Pot roasted sweet potato and cranberry spiced rice is a simple and easy dish. Make rice in the Instant Pot and roast sweet potato in the oven. It will ready without any babysitting.
This recipe is adapted from the book “The Middle Easter Vegetarian Cookbook” by Salma Hage. I want to try a few more recipes from it. This roasted sweet potato and cranberry spiced rice is one of them. I changed the recipe slightly to suit my taste buds. When I am roasting the sweet potato, I added chili powder which is not in the original recipe. Also, I added onion while cooking the rice.
You can skip adding the onions, if you don’t want it. I think that will enhance the flavor. I used extra long grain brown rice. It took only 15 minutes to cook in Instant Pot and then released the pressure after 10 minutes. Also, this recipe has unique 7 spice combo which I like. They are nutmeg, cloves, pepper, cinnamon, fenugreek, ground ginger and allspice. I have made a freshly ground spice mixture from all these spices. If you are spice fanatic like me go ahead and make this.
After making I asked my hubby to do taste test, he told it is good. If you love brown rice, then you will love it. Yes, brown rice has nuttiness in it which is lacking in other rice. I didn’t use any broth to cook rice as we usually cook rice with water. If you want you can do that. I used less sweetened cranberries; you can use your favorite one though. This is great meal along with a salad or soup. Best part is that everything will get ready in 30 minutes. You also get time to make side dishes while rice and sweet potato cooking.
Enjoy a hearty meal with sweetness from sweet potato and cranberries, nuttiness from brown rice with spicy touch in the background.
Instant Pot Roasted Sweet potato and Cranberry spiced Rice
- For sweet potato
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- ½ cup brown rice I used Extra long grain
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 sprigs of mint.
- For vinaigrette
- ½ lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Lebanese 7 spice seasoning *
- For Lebanese 7 spice seasoning
- 5 tablespoon ground all spice
- 3 ½ tablespoon pepper
- 3 ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoon ground fenugreek
- 4 tablespoon ground ginger.
- Pre heat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside. Wash and cut the sweet potato into wedges. To this add 1 tablespoon olive oil, chili powder, cumin powder and salt and mix well. And arrange in single layer in baking sheet and roasted in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Flip them in between to uniformly roast sweet potatoes.
- In Instant pot saute mode add olive oil, cumin seeds and onion slices and cook until onion slightly change the color. To this add water and salt and brown rice and close the lid and cook in Manual high pressure for about 15 minutes and then natural pressure release after 10 minutes. Then add lemon juice and add Lebanese 7 spice blend spice mixture and mix well.
- Carefully transfer the rice into a bowl and add roasted sweet potatoes, cranberries and mint leaves and mix well gently so that sweet potatoes will not break.
- Enjoy with soup or salad.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.