I am suffering from throat pain and that made me lazy girl, and therefore yes, I am yet to write a blog post. I had bought a big jackfruit from Hong Kong Market a few days ago with the intention of making few recipes. My hubby started asking me yesterday if I was going to use jackfruit in any of my recipes. He knows my love for jackfruit, and I decided to make Jackfruit coconut muffins.
Jackfruit coconut muffins, turned out a great tasting muffin, it has subtle sweetness of jackfruit with the nuttiness of the coconut. The taste of the toasted coconut on the top and the lingering after taste makes it very hard to stop with just one. I only made 6 muffins as it is was an experiment. Now I regret I should made a dozen, so feel free to double it. If you are sweet muffin person, try to increase the sugar by ¼ cup sugar, or you can simply garnish with turbinado sugar. It really tastes wonderful with a cup of morning coffee.
If you don’t know jackfruit, it is one of heaviest fruits of world and produce sweetest fruit. Ripe jackfruit has more custardy taste combo of mango and pineapple. In Kerala (my home state), most houses would have a jackfruit tree in the yard. We like to eat jackfruit in all from forms whether it is raw or ripe. Young green fruits are used to make curry. I have seen vegans using the young green jackfruits as pulled pork counterpart. It is meaty and starchy too.
Since I made almost everything jackfruit, from traditional puddings, desserts, curries, cookies and ice cream. I decide to make the one which I have not tried earlier; this recipe is inspired from my own mango muffin with some changes. I added coconut, as when we make traditional sweet recipes with jackfruit and add coconut or coconut milk. I didn’t incorporate pureed jackfruit into the recipe but added it as whole pieces.
You can find jackfruit in HEB stores, Asian stores, buy whole ones and cut and make preserve or eat as such or make these delicious recipes with it. Or you can try canned ones, in that case use only jackfruit piece not the syrup.
Let me know your feedback. Here is the recipe for you.
Jackfruit Coconut Muffins
- 1 cup 125g all purpose flour
- ¼ cup 53g granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon 28g brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup 60g butter (unsalted melted)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut + 2 tablespoon for topping
- 1 cup chopped jackfruits
- Preheat oven to 375F and line muffin tin with 6 liners.
- In a bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- To this add granulated sugar, brown sugar and coconut and mix well and set aside.
- In the bowl whisk egg, sour cream, vanilla extract and mix at low speed.
- Drizzle melted butter into the mixture while mixer is running low speed until everything combined well
- Add dry ingredients and mix at low speed until it just combined, do not over mix even if there are little dry bits is there that is fine.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer and just fold in the ¾ of Jackfruit pieces using rubber spatula.
- Fill each muffin mold with 2/3 full batter. Then top with rest of the Jackfruit and sprinkle coconut you set aside for garnishing
- Bake for about 15 minutes and then rotate the pan and continue to bake until tooth pick comes out clean about 7 minutes or more.
- Enjoy with cup of tea or coffee.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.