Delicious Jackfruit ice cream made with jackfruit and coconut milk and heavy cream. Easy and egg free version .
Hope it was a wonderful mother’s day for everybody. Yes I too enjoyed mother’s day with breakfast from hubby and kisses from my two precious kids. My daughter brought a hand painting from her preschool as mother’s day gift. I do miss my mom everyday and yesterday I wished for her presence. One of my friends had told me that I can get delicious lychee and jackfruit ice cream.
So when I went to Hong Kong market last time I did look for those. I didn’t get jackfruit ice cream, but got a full ripe jackfruit from there, and with that I made this delicious Jackfruit ice cream. I loved to the core.
Jackfruit is my favorite fruit after mango and plantains. If you don’t know what jackfruit is, they are the heaviest fruit you can find in the world. You want to read more about them read from this post. In my hometown most of the houses have jackfruit trees in their backyard. One good thing is that once it starts giving fruit, it will continue until its die. I have profound weakness towards this fruit, and whenever I see them try to grab them. When it is ripe, it has an intoxicating smell that makes me nostalgic about my childhood days. Hubby asked what you are going to do with this huge fruit. I told him I will make some dishes and also make an ice cream.
While searching Google I got a few varieties of jackfruit ice cream recipes especially Pilipino version of Langka ice cream. Most of them use canned jackfruit. But when you have fresh fruit in hand; you want to use it to get a great taste. I found this recipe from here, got inspired from that to develop my own version of jackfruit coconut ice cream by altering the steps in making them.
Since I want to give it to kids, I cooked the jackfruit with ¼ cup sugar for 30 minutes in slow flame. Once they cooked well, pureed them and chilled it while I prepare the rest of mixture. I skipped adding pandan leaves as I did not have it in my hand. Also not sure whether my kids would like it or not, so did not added any pandan extract too.
I know that marriage between coconut milk and jackfruit is always delicious, however about adding heavy cream I was not sure, but last week I made one more version of Jackfruit payasam or pudding. I came to know that we can add milk to the jackfruit coconut milk combo without any effect on the taste. I didn’t add any vanilla extract to get full flavor of jackfruit.
I only used puree of jackfruit to this ice cream; if you want you can also add some small pieces of jackfruit in the final stages of ice cream mixing. That way you can feel jackfruit while enjoying the ice cream. I am not a fan frozen fruit in my ice cream, so I decided to skip that step. This tropical ice cream is real treat if you are lover of jackfruit.
Are you ready for a tropical summer, then give it try it is delicious. You can also use canned version of jackfruit which is available in most of the Asian stores. Otherwise check for Hong Kong market in your area for fresh fruit. Worth the price, Enjoy
Here comes the recipe
Recipes with Jackfruits
Jackfruit Coconut Muffins
Jackfruit shortbread cookies with cardamom
Chakka appam/Steamed Jackfruit Rice Cake
Jackfurit milk shake
Chakka payasam /Jackfruit pudding
Tender Jackfruit Stir Fry with Coconut
Plantain and jackfruit seed stir fry
Jackfruit Ice Cream
- 1 cup / 250g Jackfruit
- 1/2 cup /100g sugar
- 1 cup / 232g Heavy cream/whipping cream
- 1 cup /226g coconut milk I used canned one, if you are using fresh use first press one
- Cook jackfruit with 1/4 cup sugar in a medium sauce pot for 30 minutes at low flame.
- Once it is cool enough to handle make puree with cooked jackfruit. And set aside in refrigerator for chill while you prepare rest of mixture.
- In bowl add heavy cream, coconut milk and rest of sugar and mix everything well. To this add jackfruit puree and a chill the mixture for about at least 2 hours or overnight. I gave overnight chilling.
- Next morning make ice cream according to manufactures instructions.
If you don't have ice cream machine: try this method.
- First freeze a baking dish while you are preparing the ice cream mixture. Pour mixture into frozen baking dish, freeze for 45 minutes. Take it out, break up frozen bits with whisk or spatula. Repeat this process at 30 minute intervals until it’s nearly impossible to break apart anymore. Scoop into Tupperware containers and place in freezer until ready to serve.
- Enjoy Jackfruit ice cream.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.