Delicious Jalapeño Cheddar Chive Sourdough Bread made with pickled Jalapeno, sharp cheddar and garlic chives. Goes well with bowl of soup or as such .
My sourdough bread saga continues with this Jalapeño Cheddar Chive Sourdough bread. I like to bake bread with various ingredients, that makes it not only tasty but also a filling one.I don’t have any routine to bake the bread, if I decide that I need to bake bread I get my starter ready by the evening and next morning make the dough and refrigerate overnight and bake them next day.
Then I realized that I didn’t tried a sourdough bread with this combo. Decide to give it a try, and it turned out to be delicious.
With biscuits I tried pickled Jalapeño, whereas wheat buns fresh ones and with scones, I cooked it. For this Sourdough I used pickled sliced Jalapeño. Also, I like to use sharp cheddar when it comes to baking and is soups.
Coming to the sourdough bread this is simple recipe you can add the cheese and other filling if you want while making the dough itself. But I like to add it after their bulk rise. Usually mix in and then shape and do the overnight fermentation in the refrigerator.
I have seen and tasted chives in potato dish while in Sweden. But haven’t tried in the bread recipe, so decide to experiment that too.
From two tablespoons of chopped chives you can get 16 percent of what’s needed in vitamin K. Known primarily for forming and strengthening bones and limiting neuronal damage in the brain, vitamin K is used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s
Chives are an excellent source of vitamin A –145 percent of the daily recommended value per 100 grams – more than any other allium, and with it, carotenes, which are flavonoid antioxidants like zeaxanthin and lutein that protect you from lung and mouth cancers.
Since this bread has cheese in it, make sure to bake it with parchment paper. You can have this Jalapeño Cheddar Chive Sourdough Bread with your favorite bowl of soup or just as such. It will be a good idea if you toast them with little butter. Enjoy as you wish.
Jalapeño Cheddar Chive Sourdough Bread
- 50 g ¼ cup Sourdough starter
- 365 g 1 ½ cup + 1 tsp warm water
- 280 g 2 1/3 cups bread flour
- 200 g 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 20 g g whole wheat flour
- 9 g 1 ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 50 g 1/3 cup sliced pickled Jalapenos
- 135 g 1 heaped cup Sharp cheddar cheese cubed into ¼ inch
- 12 g ¼ cup minced chives
- In a large bowl add starter and water and mix well. Then add all purpose, whole wheat flour and bread flour combine everything and set aside for 30 minutes
- Then add salt and mix again and set aside for another 6-8 hours. I didn’t do it, if you want you can strengthen the dough with folding at every 30 minutes for next 2 hours and then 1-hour interval for 2 hours and finally set aside for 2-3 hours.
- When you are ready to shape mix in cheese, jalapenos and chives thenshape and transfer to banneton or mold.
- Refrigerate for overnight, next morning pre-heat oven to 450F. Transfer the dough to cold Dutch oven and bake for 10 minutes at 450F and then reduce the temperature to 425 F and bake 25 minutes with lid on. Then remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes or until loaf develop golden color and when you tap the loaf it makes whole sound or register 210 F internal temperature.
- Cool the loaf and cut it into slice and enjoy.
Pin it for later
Other Jalapenos Cheddar recipes40
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.